Strawberry Ribena Cider

A forum for cider makers
toylander

Strawberry Ribena Cider

Post by toylander » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:41 pm

I am new to this home brew malarkey. I made some Ribena cider and after 24h I am yet to see a bubble through the airlock. There is definitely some froth sitting on the top. I think it is a pretty good seal on the demi john. Is this normal or should I see some action by now.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Re: Strawberry Ribena Cider

Post by oldbloke » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:46 pm

Normal Ribera, with sulphites in it, or the stuff from the chill cabinet without sulphites?
If you've got the sulphite version, you should either have boiled tham off or prepared s yeast starter so that your yeast colony was strong enough to overcome the sulphites
I've never seen the point in trying to ferment stuff with sulphites myself, when there are so many other things out there that jump at the chance to turn into alcohol

toylander

Post by toylander » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:27 pm

It was the concentrate ribena that I used and I boiled it for 20 mins.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:46 pm

toylander wrote:It was the concentrate ribena that I used and I boiled it for 20 mins.
Doesn't always work, from what I've seen in past threads.
Got any more yeast? Try making a starter in sugarwater or apple juice, with nutrient, and when it's going strong chuck it in

What's the rest of the recipe? Is there any nutrient?

toylander

Post by toylander » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:36 pm

How exactly do you make a yeast starter?
Not sure if it matters but it is wine yeast that I used and yeast nutrient.

toylander

Post by toylander » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:47 pm

It now looks like there is some action in the demi john. Still not seen any bubbles but the liquid in the airlock is being pushed up one side and the cider seems to be circulating.
I think I need to be more patient.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:24 pm

toylander wrote:It now looks like there is some action in the demi john. Still not seen any bubbles but the liquid in the airlock is being pushed up one side and the cider seems to be circulating.
I think I need to be more patient.
Sulphites do only stun yeast so it may just have taken longer to get going, but it'll never be quite the yeast colony it could have been

toylander

Post by toylander » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:04 am

Should I add a little more yeast then or just leave it be?

toylander

Post by toylander » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:12 am

The fermentation seems to have went well in the end. I racked it off into 2 demijohns and topped each off with more apple juice, (I felt the strawberry flavour required further dilution).
They both bubbled away nicely for a couple of weeks. They have both settled down now and I'm not too sure what the next stage is.
Should I rack to two clean demijohns and leave for a couple of weeks before bottling? If so at what temp 18-20 deg or chill?

Thanks