Turbo Cider Experience

A forum for cider makers
MrBarrySir

Re: Turbo Cider Experience

Post by MrBarrySir » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:12 am

E J Gumby wrote:Hi Rob

Just noticed your costings. I know it was last year but it seems a bit pricey.
Did one last weekend, as follows:

22 x Lidl Basic Apple Juice @ 0.49 per L = £10.78
2 x Morrison's Basic 340g Honey @ 0.99 per jar = £ 1.98
1 x Young's Cider Yeast @ £1.05 per sachet = £ 1.05
6 x Teabags @ 0.6p each = £ 0.04
1 x 100g Sugar = £0.10

40 pints for £13.95, or just under 35p a pint! How bad's that?
The honey leaves a bit of residual sweetness so it's not a dry as a witches tit.
I tend not to muck about with flavours but I do like the idea of Wales' White Grape and Peach TC

Cheers
What % is that coming in at? Is the 100g sugar for priming?

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:09 am

Yeah priming. Most supermarket juices come out around 5%-5.5%, should be easily calculable with your hydrometer.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:46 am

Is this apple juice ok for turbo cider, its pasturised.

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/P ... _SHELFVIEW

Thanks

JD

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:32 pm

It doesn't have any nasty preservatives so should be fine.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:37 pm

Thanks, ordered

Can anyone help with amount of ingrediants, i have 23L of apple juice, how much youngs super wine yeast, yeast enhancer, tannin and pectolase should i add to that amount of AJ? Also does it need to be at a specific OG ie will i need to add brewing sugar to the Bucket?

DJ

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:24 pm

JohnnyD wrote:Thanks, ordered

Can anyone help with amount of ingrediants, i have 23L of apple juice, how much youngs super wine yeast, yeast enhancer, tannin and pectolase should i add to that amount of AJ? Also does it need to be at a specific OG ie will i need to add brewing sugar to the Bucket?

DJ
I've not used that yeast but a standard 5g or 7g pack of ale yeast is enough for that volume of ale so I suggest the same amount of the Young's will be OK. I mostly do I gallon demijohns and never use more than half a 5g pack, and have split a pack across 3 before with no problems.

Enhancer: I use 1 tsp of nutrient per gallon. So 5tsp

Tannin, about the same. Maybe err on the low side.

Pectolase, none. This is apple juice, not apples.

All juices sold for drinking as juice have sugar to get to about 5%ABV, maybe a little more, rarely less. That's a sensible strength. You'll get around an extra half % from the priming sugar at bottling/kegging time (cider wants a little more than ale, up to 1tsp/pint).

I always add some other juice (often cranberry) to broaden the flavour profile, but you don't have to. If you do, I use half a litre Other to 4l AJ. Just check there's no sorbates or sulphites in it.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:58 pm

If you're using Youngs "Super Wine Yeast" - check if it's the straight yeast or the "compound" - the latter already contains nutrient. Dose reccomended is 1tsp/gallon for wines, so 1/2 tsp / gallon should be fine for a cider.

Dont worry about additional sugar - most straight juices contain enough to get in the 5-7% abv bracket (unless you want something lethal, that is :lol: )
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:13 am

Thanks for the great tips guys, i have ordered Young's Super Wine Yeast Compound 60g so i miss out the yeast nutrient, is that correct ? 5-7% is fine for me, i don't want rocket fuel :roll:

JD

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:26 am

JohnnyD wrote:Thanks for the great tips guys, i have ordered Young's Super Wine Yeast Compound 60g so i miss out the yeast nutrient, is that correct ? 5-7% is fine for me, i don't want rocket fuel :roll:

JD
Yep, nutrient not needed :)
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:19 am

I do make an 8% TurboCider occasionally, but 5 to 6 is better for normal use.
If you're going to get into TC do check out Suma AJ concentrate- it ups the ABV a bit, and the cost, but you can get more Apple per gallon, which helps a lot. If you search the forum for my name you'll probably find some recipes.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:24 am

I have spotted this Suma AJ on Amazon, there is a recipe by Baldie on the reviews page and he has used Malic acid with that juice, should i use that ? Also i am tempted by some oak chips in there too, when would i add those?

JD

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:13 pm

JohnnyD wrote:I have spotted this Suma AJ on Amazon, there is a recipe by Baldie on the reviews page and he has used Malic acid with that juice, should i use that ? Also i am tempted by some oak chips in there too, when would i add those?

JD
The prices on Amazon are outrageous. I order from my local hippie food shop. Usually a slab of 6 500ml bottles of the non-organic. Occasionally the 5l poly container. 1 500ml bottle plus half or one litre normal AJ plus half a litre cranberry is pretty good, with some tannin, a little bit of sweetener, and the yeast of your choice. Currently enjoying ale yeasts.
Although the citric/malic balance may be a bit off, the total acidity is spot on diluted 1:6, so I don't add anything. People seem to like the stuff, not just me and t'missus.
Not tried oak chips, could be good.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:23 pm

Can I add the oak chips tomorrow on day 4 of fermentation? Didn't have any until tomorrow's post arrives

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:47 am

JohnnyD wrote:Can I add the oak chips tomorrow on day 4 of fermentation? Didn't have any until tomorrow's post arrives Image
Dunno really. It's a post ferment thing as far as I know, like ageing whisky in old sherry barrels etc.
I have had carbonation problems when leaving TC too long before bottling, though, so...
I think I'd pop the oak in when I do the final top up at about day 4 or 5. Then bottle at day 10...20 depending how the ferment went. If you're kegging rather than bottling though I'd just chuck them in the keg.
Let us know what you try and how it turns out

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:08 pm

OK started at 1052, and now steady at 1002 so about 6%

It lacks a bit of depth but its quite pleasant, i can just taste the oak, what else can i put in the pressure barrel with it to give it a bit of body, obviosly it will have a bit more fizz, should i add some honey in with the priming sugar, if so how much ?

Thanks

JD