First Cider Attempt

A forum for cider makers
WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: First Cider Attempt

Post by WalesAles » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:34 am

Ink wrote:When would be a good time to add the flavouring liquid?
Ink,
How much of a gap have you left in the top of your DJ?
See the post `Cheap Tasty Raspberryade`, The first post shows the syrup I use. These 440ml bottles have 65gr of sugar in them, ideally, you need to leave a gap of 2 - 3 inches for fermentation for 7 days then top up with Apple juice.
If you haven`t got a 2 - 3 inch gap, seeing as you only made this 2 days ago, I would pour out some of your cider, pour in the syrup, to give you the 2 - 3 inch gap.
Add 1 tsp yeast and nutrient, good shake, 7 days later top up with Apple Juice.

In the post `Cheap Tasty Raspberryade`, My post from Feb 27th gives a good TC recipe. I started out making 5Lt batches of TC and progressed to 20Lt batches because if you are washing 8 - 9 bottles, you may as well do 30 - 35 for 20Lts. 5Lts won`t last long when you taste it!
WA

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:38 pm

As late as poss, so the yeast doesn't chemically alter the flavour, or just blow it out the airlock.

Ink

Post by Ink » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:01 pm

It's just a tiny sachet. I think I'll mix it in a new FV and bulk prime the lot. Looking at bottling it next Saturday (it should be ready) as it's the best opportunity I'll have for a bit. Off to a mini rugby/beer festival in Peterborough on the Sunday so it needs to be ready!

danbrew

Post by danbrew » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:06 pm

oldbloke wrote:I point out that what I've posted is the distilled wisdom of many people. I learnt all I know about TC from people both here and in the other place, most of whom have been making the stuff far longer than me.
Whilst that may be true, there are many others that choose not to either share their acquired knowledge nor respond to those still at the learning stage and it's that which people are grateful for... (and to all the other 'oracles' on here for that matter)...

Ink

Post by Ink » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:36 pm

danbrew wrote: (and to all the other 'oracles' on here for that matter)...
Well said Danbrew. I have used a lot of forums where people with the knowledge would rather ridicule those that don't. Sort of undermines the spirit of communities.

Ink

Post by Ink » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:15 am

Dropped the hydrometer in this morning for a cheeky reading, bearing in mind that the kit instructions reckon it could be ready today. I obviously had no such hope. The reading was around 1015 so still a ways to go. On the up side, it should surely be ready for racking next Saturday, then away for a few weeks.

Ink

Post by Ink » Fri May 02, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi all, thought I'd update this a bit. It's been in the FV for 12 days and the hydrometer reading has been about 1ish for 3 days so it's going in another barrel for batch priming and bottling.
I also have the little flavouring sachet to chuck in so I'll do that then, and give it a gentle mix.
I do have a question though: how much sugar should I prime it with? There's about 22lts.
It actually tastes surprisingly passable at the moment, but flat. I am genuinely surprised, I thought it would be awful for a while.
When bittled, it's going away for St least a month, maybe more. We are having a family bash in June so I am hoping it will improve further.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat May 03, 2014 12:24 am

12 days is pretty good, TC takes 10 to 20 days depending so kits should be about the same.
For priming, a bit more than ale - about a teaspoon aka 5gm per half litre or pint, if bottling - I assume the ratio is the same for kegs but don't use the myself.
22l, go for about 100gm

Ink

Post by Ink » Sun May 04, 2014 9:54 am

I bottled this yesterday and had a sneaky taste. It was actually surprisingly passable although flat. Hopefully it will carbonate nicely over the next couple of months.

pantsmachine

Post by pantsmachine » Mon May 05, 2014 2:22 pm

I have just completed a 5 gallon batch of Lidl apple juice and 6 soaked T bag cider. I used Burton a 1/2 ltr WLP23 ale yeast slurry from a pale ale i was brewing (drawn live off the bottom of the conical FV) and kept fermentation temperatures high (23 degrees). It ripped through the fermentables in a week and was bottled(2 carb vols) once it had been settling out for a couple of days. Nice, simple and from previous experience in ciders it will be ace. Such an easy and satisfying brew to make. Well done Ink for getting back into it! :) There is a lot of variance you can introduce as you go. Jump out of kits next time and go your own way, more fun!

Ink

Post by Ink » Mon May 05, 2014 7:38 pm

I've already got a lager kit slightly modified with honey and a kg of ginger and 2 variations of the Polish syrup mixtures on the go. SWMBO isn't too chuffed.

Ink

Post by Ink » Mon May 12, 2014 10:18 pm

This is shaping up quite nicely. I tried one of my trial bottles after a week and it is better than last week by a long way.

I think it will be lovely in a month, cold or over ice.