DIY Cider Press

A forum for cider makers
Jambo
Hollow Legs

Re: DIY Cider Press

Post by Jambo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:24 pm

mozza wrote:
Jambo wrote:Liking that description boingy!

The wood I ordered is supposed to be arriving today, dug out a car jack and also picked up some thread rod. Also bought about an acre of net curtains in Ikea for a fiver last weekend, should be good to go!
Good effort! I'd love to have a go at making cider. Will you be allowing an all natural ferment or adding campden and then a dried yeast? :)
Mozza, I started a thread on my yeast thoughts for this year, I'll definitely go down the campden route.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:24 am

OK so if you go for 600 mm on the horizontals, the inside of the square frame is too small for the plywood squares with the dimensions listed in the instructions. It is still big enough for the intended purpose I reckon so I'll crack on, but if anyone else is doing this calculate the correct size!

Secondly, getting all the drilled holes to line up is a PITA. Unless you are significantly more skilled with a drill than I am (not hard), you'd be well advised to get the use of a drill press for a few hrs when doing this, or obtain a really long drill bit so that you can drill the stacks in one go..!

flything

Post by flything » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:50 am

The type of adhesive used to bond the layers of wood together depends on the specific application for the finished plywood. Softwood plywood sheets designed for installation on the exterior of a structure usually use a phenol-formaldehyde resin as an adhesive because of its excellent strength and resistance to moisture. Softwood plywood sheets designed for installation on the interior of a structure may use a blood protein or a soybean protein adhesive, although most softwood interior sheets are now made with the same phenol-formaldehyde resin used for exterior sheets. Hardwood plywood used for interior applications and in the construction of furniture usually is made with a urea-formaldehyde resin.
Source: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Plywood ... z3EyyqJ2MY
The major drawback of this resin is that it hydrolyzes, or decomposes, in extremely humid conditions

Formaldehyde emissions beyond a certain level — above 0.1 parts per million — can have toxic effects on the humans. It can cause breathing difficulties, dizziness, skin irritation, and nausea. An increase in formaldehyde levels in the air may also trigger asthma attacks in asthmatic patients. Some people are also allergic to formaldehyde, which is a confirmed carcinogen.
Source: http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-urea-formaldehyde.htm
Phenolic resins identified in this section may be safely used as the food-contact surface of molded articles intended for repeated use in contact with nonacid food (pH above 5.0)
Source: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/c ... r=177.2410

Apple Juice is pH 3.4

And for that reason, I'm out!

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:26 am

Scary stuff flything, and well researched. I've decided to take my chances though.

Pressed about 5 gallons of juice over the weekend, a lot easier than using a kitchen juicer, and much clearer juice came out also. Great success!

This press works well but take into consideration earlier comments about some of the dimensions being wrong. And also try to get yourself a long drill bit or a drill press, it is important and difficult to get everything lined up for drilling straight!

Cheers.

flything

Post by flything » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:14 pm

Makes note to self to ask anyone who offers him cider whether they go by the name Jambo :D