No boiling for Turbo Cider?

A forum for cider makers
Tensbrewer

No boiling for Turbo Cider?

Post by Tensbrewer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi

I am getting slowly tempted to give a Turbo Cider a go. Probably using apple juice from Lidl with some Bramleys blended and chucked in. One or two questions though, do I really not need to boil the "wort" (sorry for the beer term but I normally deal in AG beer) before putting it in the demi-john? Will it not get infected and go wonky? If I did boil it would it ruin the process?

All the best

Tensbrewer

jmc
Even further under the Table

Re: No boiling for Turbo Cider?

Post by jmc » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:43 pm

Tensbrewer wrote:Hi

I am getting slowly tempted to give a Turbo Cider a go. Probably using apple juice from Lidl with some Bramleys blended and chucked in. One or two questions though, do I really not need to boil the "wort" (sorry for the beer term but I normally deal in AG beer) before putting it in the demi-john? Will it not get infected and go wonky? If I did boil it would it ruin the process?

All the best

Tensbrewer
No need to boil with cider. The main reason for not doing this is you ended up with a cooked apple / apple pie flavour.

Bought AJ is normally sterile / pasteurised for long shelf life and the acidity helps too.

If using fresh unpasteurised AJ or adding mushed apples eg Bramleys, some add up to about 50ppm S02 to kill any wild yeast on them then add yeast of your choice a day later. Most making Turbocider don't bother adding SO2.

Loads of info here
http://www.cider.org.uk/

http://www.cider.org.uk/part3.htm

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:51 pm

The juice is almost certainly pasteurised and there's no chemistry involved requiring heat, so you get the yeast straight in and that gets going and other microorganisms have no chance.
If you were using juice from apples just pressed, you'd want to Campden it as with wine must ingredients, and pitch a day later.
http://forum.craft brewing.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=344 is a thing I wrote once, if you don't have to register there to see it. There may be a copy of it here on Jim's already, actually. Yes: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=66468

Lidl juice + bramleys may be a bit sharp. I never bother adding any real fruit to mine. I do always add half a litre per demijohn of something like cranberry or blueberry or cherry, to broaden the flavour profile. Helps a lot. ...and some tannin. A cup of stupidly strong tea will do. Also AJ is a bit lacking in nutrient, so bung some in.
And if in a demijohn, leave a good litre of headspace for at least 4 days, or it'll climb out

Tensbrewer

Post by Tensbrewer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks for these responses guys I think I am reassured. I'll have a look at some of the further info as well. Ta very much!

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:37 pm

There was a recipe on here,can't find it now- 20 litres AJ (Put 18 in initially til it dies down a bit),3 jars honey,8 grated Bramleys, cup of tea with 4 bags. I used Young's cider yeast,but I believe WLP 001 or 028 make a great cider.
It was a bit sharp when I tried it last,drinking one now,it's mellowed out a lot. But bear in mind most folk equate cider with Magners/Strongbow etc which,by nature are sweeter.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

Tensbrewer

Post by Tensbrewer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:42 pm

I normally drink dry Dunkertons so don't mind a bit of sharpness - not that I imagine my brew is going to taste like Dunkertons!!!

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:46 am

lord.president wrote:There was a recipe on here,can't find it now- 20 litres AJ (Put 18 in initially til it dies down a bit),3 jars honey,8 grated Bramleys, cup of tea with 4 bags. I used Young's cider yeast,but I believe WLP 001 or 028 make a great cider.
It was a bit sharp when I tried it last,drinking one now,it's mellowed out a lot. But bear in mind most folk equate cider with Magners/Strongbow etc which,by nature are sweeter.
Here's the topic you mentioned
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34841#p373650

I think Fullers yeast goes well. Harvested from 1845 or Bengal Lancer or bought as WLP002.