Turbo Cider Experience

A forum for cider makers
RobWalker

Turbo Cider Experience

Post by RobWalker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi chaps. Thought I would record my turbo cider experience in the hope it helps one or two people out!

I poured 23L ASDA Apple Juice from concentrate into a sanitized FV, added 2.5tsp tannin and a packet of Mangrove Jack's Cider Yeast. I chose not to use any acid on Oldbloke's recommendation as the juice already contains citric acid - I tasted a little before deciding, and decided it was probably acidic enough already.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-com ... te_2L.html
http://mangrovejacks.com/products/craft ... ider-yeast

Fermentation started somewhere around 1.039 - 1.042 after a day (I forget the reading) with a big krauzen that looked oddly like a biscuit! This died down after a few days and fermentation appeared to be over in a week. I left it for 14 days total in the FV, and recorded the same final gravity of 1.002 with a 3 day gap inbetween readings. I always thought that cider finished much lower but a little research told me otherwise. This leaves the cider at between 4.9% and 5.2%.

I syphoned this into a value keg with 100g white sugar and it's clear as a bell. It tastes great out of the keg already and I'd happily drink it, but it will improve more in time. The cider was ridiculously clear after fermentation with no finings required, and has remained so in the keg. The yeast kicks out a nice toffee apple sweetness with a moderately dry, slightly acidic backbone.

Total cost of this brew (assuming you already have tannin or will source it from black tea) was;

11x 2L Apple Juice = £16.50
1x 1L Apple Juice = £0.75
1x MJ Cider Yeast = £1.99
100g white sugar = 10p? lol.

£19.34p for 40 pints of cider, or 48p per pint.

TC is definitely a must brew for anyone who likes cider, it's fast, easy, economic and the final product is lovely!

Cheers!

oldbloke
Under the Table

Re: Turbo Cider Experience

Post by oldbloke » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Rob, I can't recall if you've done TC before, but I thought you had - any idea how the result with Mangrove Jack's differs from other yeasts?

(I default to Young's cider yeast but have had good results with may yeasts including ale yeasts and red wine yeasts.)

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:10 pm

I've brewed a few gallons over the years and the flavour is much better than Montrachet Wine Yeast at least. You can see a few vague tasting notes above, but it tastes great and I'd recommend it to anybody.

Stu The Brew 2

Post by Stu The Brew 2 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Just bought a load of Princes 100% pure from concentrate (surely a contradiction?) from Costco, and am now going to try a turbo cider for the first time.
I'm using your recipe as a guide, but I think I will use a strong cup of tea as most suggest instead of tannin.
Wish me luck.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:59 pm

Stu The Brew 2 wrote:Just bought a load of Princes 100% pure from concentrate (surely a contradiction?) from Costco, and am now going to try a turbo cider for the first time.
I'm using your recipe as a guide, but I think I will use a strong cup of tea as most suggest instead of tannin.
Wish me luck.
stb2,
Are you making this TC to 20Lts? If you are, you will need 3 mugs of Tea, 4 Tea bags in each mug.
This is not Gospel, but it came from `Oldbloke` and that is Gospel enough for me! :D
If you like flavoured TC look in `Other Brews` for some great recipes.

WA

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:58 pm

you can just make up 1L of tea with 4 teabags for ease. there's not much to it, just shove it all in!!

Stu The Brew 2

Post by Stu The Brew 2 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:06 am

Thanks for the Tannin advice. Been a bit of a delay as we are in the throws of a big extension build. We have now just had the floor layed though so am going to give it a go this afternoon while waiting for it all to go off. I'll let you know how it goes.

CHEERS :beer:

Stu The Brew 2

Post by Stu The Brew 2 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:21 am

Stu The Brew 2 wrote:Thanks for the Tannin advice. Been a bit of a delay as we are in the throws of a big extension build. We have now just had the floor layed though so am going to give it a go this afternoon while waiting for it all to go off. I'll let you know how it goes.

CHEERS Image
I have started the brew at room temperature which is keeping it at around 26 degrees c at the moment. About 4 days in and there is a good amount of condensation on the lid but no crowson yet, is this ok. The wine and beer I put on at the same time are going great guns. I did read about needing yeast nutrients? Tomato paste will do? I have literally gone with juice , tannin (tea) and yeast, is that ok?
Cheers,
Stu the brew.

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:41 pm

Sorry stu, missed your reply.

You should have fermentation by now, what yeast did you pitch? I would repitch, or stir up the stuff at the bottom to see if that gets it going.

Tomato paste is fine for nutrient.

Stu The Brew 2

Post by Stu The Brew 2 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:20 am

No problem, thanks Rob.
I have checked the gravity (through a hydrometer) and it has dropped massively, too much for a precise calculation I belive but it is doing something. I used mangrove jack cider yeast (1 pack) . Do I need nutrient? I have not added any. If so , how much tomato paste do I put in?

Thanks again for your help.

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:16 pm

you don't need it, it's just useful and prevents stalled fermentations. you'll be okay without it.

you should get somewhere near 0.990 when it's finished. it can be slow towards the end.

Stu The Brew 2

Post by Stu The Brew 2 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:59 am

Thanks again.
I have checked the gravity again and It is bang on .999 as it was in my last post, but very murky also smells quite yeasty.
I'm happy with it so far I think.

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:53 am

the more time you give cider, the better it gets. sounds like you're on the right track! I've been drinking the last few litres of mine with some added elderflower cordial :D

E J Gumby
Steady Drinker

Post by E J Gumby » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:56 am

Hi Rob

Just noticed your costings. I know it was last year but it seems a bit pricey.
Did one last weekend, as follows:

22 x Lidl Basic Apple Juice @ 0.49 per L = £10.78
2 x Morrison's Basic 340g Honey @ 0.99 per jar = £ 1.98
1 x Young's Cider Yeast @ £1.05 per sachet = £ 1.05
6 x Teabags @ 0.6p each = £ 0.04
1 x 100g Sugar = £0.10

40 pints for £13.95, or just under 35p a pint! How bad's that?
The honey leaves a bit of residual sweetness so it's not a dry as a witches tit.
I tend not to muck about with flavours but I do like the idea of Wales' White Grape and Peach TC

Cheers

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:15 pm

They were from ASDA. I know it can be done cheaper!

The honey won't add sweetness, it's almost 100% fermentable and just leaves an aftertaste in the beer I find. Sweetness will come if your yeast drops out early, as some ale yeasts do. You'd be better adding some tabletop sweetener if you want it sweeter and carbonated too.