Yeast for Cider

A forum for cider makers
jmc
Even further under the Table

Re: Yeast for Cider

Post by jmc » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:32 am

Jambo wrote:
jmc wrote:
Jambo wrote:Bah it keeps slowing right down at 1.010 ish! Has yours done the same JMC?
How did you get on with the Lalvin 71B cider in the end. What was final FG?
Are you using it again this year?
Hi JMC.

I haven't made any cider this year due to a change of job which leaves me with minimal free time, and everyone I know has had rubbish apple crops this year...!

Not sure what last year's FG was (will have it written down somewhere), but I haven't drank much of it, it's still in a corny and I have a bit now and again, it's still incredibly sour though even after 1 year of storage! Fantastic for cooking with though!!

Jamie.
Thanks for the update. If you want to reduce the acidity you still have some options.

White labs to a WLP 675 Malolactic Culture, or you could experiment with Potassium carbonate. Apparently its better than using Calcium Carbonate that (not surprisingly) can leave a chalky after-taste.

If you use a carbonate I recommend you experiment with a DJ of your cider and add it bit by bit. Wait for it to react, taste then scale up when you get the level of acidity you want.

jmc
Even further under the Table

Re: Yeast for Cider

Post by jmc » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:36 am

guest5234 wrote:I just let the wild yeast take over after pressing my apples, never had a problem.
Unfortunately I don't grow my own apples and I gather windfalls from neighbours and other kind locals. I can't be sure about how well the gardens has been looked after.

I hope one day I'll try batches with no SO2 when I can grow my own apples in an environment that I can be sure of.