Apple Juice acidity for cider

A forum for cider makers
Jimwix

Apple Juice acidity for cider

Post by Jimwix » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Had a good day yesterday making juice and now have 5 gallons starting to ferment, it would have been quite a bit more but the kids did so much of the work it was only fair to let them drink their fill.

The OG was 1046 which I think is just about OK and I measured the acidity using a H2SO4 wine acidity test kit and I reckon it’s 5.6ppt.

Now the wine info sheet I have says that acidity is upper end OK for white wines and too acidic for reds while my cider book says 3.2 to 3.8 is an OK PH range for cider.
Am I right in thinking that H2SO4 acidity is not really comparable with PH which is measuring something different?

Anyway I’m none the wiser. 3 decades have gone since I did A-Level chemistry and it seems I’ve forgotten far more than I remember.

Does the H2SO4 ppt tell me anything useful for cider?

oldbloke
Under the Table

Re: Apple Juice acidity for cider

Post by oldbloke » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:06 pm

Andrew Lea is the man for this. He has a good website, but I have his book to hand...

Nope, he says they're connected but not in a simple way (which we knew), and then only mentions pH

dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Apple Juice acidity for cider

Post by dean_wales » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:06 pm

pH and acidity are only loosely related in my experience.

You need the correct pH to ensure the yeast is happy and the cider doesn't spoil.

You need the correct acidity to ensure it tastes OK!

Second Andrew Lea's book, though nearly all of it is on the website for free!

Dean.
Click here for my cider pressing...
Click here to see my 20% Damson port experiment...
Click here for red wine from my allotment vine...