high FG on turbo cider

A forum for cider makers
jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

high FG on turbo cider

Post by jaroporter » Sun May 31, 2015 1:34 pm

just after some thoughts really. am used to cider fermenting dry, but having used standard (one above value i think! tesco apple juice for a 5l batch it's stopped at 1,012.

yeast was around half a pack of nottingham, so a fair old pitch. haven't used ale yeast in TC before but all i've read suggests pretty much all yeast will ferment it dry. temperature was room temps, and even at night i can't think it would have got low enough to shock the yeast out.
fermented well and has now been crystal clear for a good few weeks. think i might have missed adding nutrient as i might not have had any, but i'm not sure that's stopped it before..
i did find one thread somewhere where someone mentioned that their tesco TC had stopped at 1,010, for whatever reason.

don't make a lot of TC so if anyone has any experiences of the juice or generally messing up turbo cider i'd love to hear your thoughts.. !
dazzled, doused in gin..

jmc
Even further under the Table

Re: high FG on turbo cider

Post by jmc » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:35 am

I've not had one stop that high, but it may be due to lack of nutrients in the juice.

Some traditional sweet ciders are made from old apple trees grown in a low-nutrient environment, so it may be that.

Its hard to make sweet TC, so if you like the taste I'd be tempted to bottle it in PLASTIC bottles in case it restarts.
You can also then feel the bottles to see if its still slowly fermenting.

If its too sweet for you you could try adding 1/2 tsp of nutrient and see if that helps the yeast.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:12 am

cheers for the response. interesting about the traditional sweet cider. think i'll be keeping a close eye on this "experiment"..
dazzled, doused in gin..

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:13 pm

most of my tc's finish well above 1 , and usually 1.010 using an ale yeast , think it succumbs to the alcohol .