easy

A forum for cider makers
far9410
Even further under the Table

easy

Post by far9410 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:00 pm

Hi all

Don't make cider usually, got a few pounds of apples, thought may buy some juice to add, do I need yeast? or is it already in the apple? any easy recipes would be good,
thanks all :D
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: easy

Post by JamesF » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:13 pm

Domestically-grown apples will probably have yeasts on that can kick off fermentation, but it might be a bit slow. Buying a cider yeast is probably a more reliable way of kicking things off.

James

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:46 pm

Letting a cider ferment naturally can give you a really good result, but would be hard to repeat.
It can also give less than good results.
You can use a lot of different yeasts in cider. Last year I used Munton's at room temperature with good results. Earlier this year I used S-34/70 at lager temperature and am happy with the results.
I'm just here for the beer.

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:52 pm

ive been mulling over using w34/70 , what was the outcome ? Did you brew it cold like lager or more at ale temperatures?

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Red Star Cote de Blanc is a decent yeast for cider. It doesn't strip away the apple aroma and is ferments slowly

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:46 pm

W34-70 is an interesting idea. Not one I'd thought of. If I press even a fairly small proportion of my cider apples I'm going to have perhaps as much as five hundred litres of juice split across several FVs, so something that ferments at ambient temperature over the winter would be very useful. A quick scan of cider yeasts available at the usual suspects this weekend suggests that quite a few are intended for fermentation in the 20C to 24C range, which certainly isn't going to happen here.

James

jmc

Post by jmc » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:50 am

Last couple of years I've used Lalvin 71B. It copes with cool temp in my unheated garage and reduces malic acid to smooth out the cider. Andrew Lea recommends a 'low and slow' fermentation to get the best flavour so who am I to disagree with the great man.

This year's cider is bubbling away in the garage at the moment. Temp around 10c

Very jealous about your access to cider apples. What variety have you got?

*** edit

More Info
Lalvin 71B

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:22 am

jmc wrote:Very jealous about your access to cider apples. What variety have you got?
As well as some I've been unable to identify there were existing mature Dabinett and Yarlington Mill trees when we moved here. There are also what I am fairly sure are Somerset trees, but the apples aren't great. The trees produce a lot of fruit, but it's quite bland. This year I've put some in with the Bramleys I've pressed in an attempt to bump up the tannin and bitterness a bit. Since then I've planted a few more varieties including Kingston Black, Tom Putt and Tremlett's Bitter.

James

jmc

Post by jmc » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:46 am

JamesF wrote:
jmc wrote:Very jealous about your access to cider apples. What variety have you got?
As well as some I've been unable to identify there were existing mature Dabinett and Yarlington Mill trees when we moved here. There are also what I am fairly sure are Somerset trees, but the apples aren't great. The trees produce a lot of fruit, but it's quite bland. This year I've put some in with the Bramleys I've pressed in an attempt to bump up the tannin and bitterness a bit. Since then I've planted a few more varieties including Kingston Black, Tom Putt and Tremlett's Bitter.

James
Living the dream :D =P~ [-o< =P~

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:43 pm

jmc wrote:Living the dream :D =P~ [-o< =P~
Trying to. Mostly these days however I seem to be a childrens' chauffeur :)

James