Today I are mostly pressing Yarlington Mills

A forum for cider makers
JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Today I are mostly pressing Yarlington Mills

Post by JamesF » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:26 pm

I probably have somewhere around twenty sacks full of Yarlington Mill apples that I've collected over the last three weeks. I've pressed the Dabinett, Bramleys and other miscellaneous varieties first as the Yarlingtons are quite a late variety, but I need to crack on with it now as some are starting to go rotten. I suspect that may be down to the unusually warm weather.

Warm until today, that is. Today we have a clear sky for the first time in weeks (last time was actually when we collected the Dabinetts) and bitterly cold wind. And I am outdoors pressing apples. Man it is cold, especially once your hands get wet :(

James

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Today I are mostly pressing Yarlington Mills

Post by lord groan » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:42 pm

But so rewarding!
Sounds like you have a great variety of trees, lovely to see you're using them, any chance of pictures? I pressed 40l worth of apples and 22l of juice from pears this year. All from fruit which would otherwise have gone to waste so I feel virtuous for not letting them rot. Trying to find storage for around 120 bottles of cider and perry is quite a nice problem to have.
Now I just see a few fruit trees in my area that still have apples but no leaves and are clearly going to waste, sadly all fenced in with no way to identify the owners.
Hope you don't get too cold!

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:25 pm

I got about 70lt of cider this yr in 4 cornies, one of these is yarlington mill, the others are a mix, and this year I have been carful not to add to much black dabanett like I did last yr.
To Busy To Add,

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:52 am

I have some photos that I've not got uploaded yet, but to be going on with here's one of the press in action

James