First big turbo cider + Blackrock

A forum for cider makers
hazelbrew

First big turbo cider + Blackrock

Post by hazelbrew » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:42 pm

I tend to brew a turbo cider in small amounts - has been just a gallon at a time. I then end up forgetting about them or ignoring them as I only have a few bottles... and then find the are lovely 5-6 months after bottling.

So I finally put on a larger brew to make something that should last a bit longer. Picked up the kit in the "slightly out of date" section of my LHBS.

This went on 8 days ago now:

- Blackrock cider kit - 1.65kg of apple concentrate.
- 16 litres Princes apple juice from concentrate. (were on offer in Morrisons at 50p / litre )
- 5 Bramley apples
- 4tsp wine tannin
- 4 tsp yeast nutrient
- 480g sugar.
- Mangrove Jacks M02 cider yeast

Added kit, nutrients and tannin plus boiling water to wash out to the FV.
Apples were sliced in the food processor and added.
16 litres of apple juice added. Princes showing 110 g sugar per litre.
Filled with cold tap water to approximately 23 litres.

Grabbed both handles and shook the FV for aeriation.. plenty of splashing from the juice going in.

I rehydrated the yeast before pitching at 20-22C don't remember what exactly. This sat in the kitchen at ambient temp until the family could not stand the "ploop" of the airlock anymore... now in a trub with fishtank heater in the garage.

It is slowing down now, and almighty sulphorous stink coming from it.

ignoring the sugars from the bramleys this is I think around 3.9kg of fermentables from the juice, kit and sugar.

should give an:
OG of 1065 at 23l.
FG of 1013 would give just over 6% ABV.

Might need to dilute this to get the ABV under control. We shall see how low it finishes. If it really gets down to 1006 or lower this will be 7% or more.

hazelbrew

Re: First big turbo cider + Blackrock

Post by hazelbrew » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:15 pm

B$%ger.

Just took a gravity reading. This is down to 1 or perhaps .998. 8% or so. Sample tasted ok.