Dark fruits

A forum for cider makers
bquiggerz

Dark fruits

Post by bquiggerz » Sat May 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Hello everyone,

It feels like it's been a lifetime ago since I last posted and quite a while since I last really brewed. Student life and all. Anyway, my brother was asking about making a dark fruits style cider and I was wondering if any of you have managed to replicate the drink?

If not any ideas where to start?

Thanks,

Ben.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Dark fruits

Post by Pinto » Sat May 28, 2016 3:00 pm

Hey BQ :) nice to see you back.

Basic Turbo cider, then add blackcurrant or dark fruits cordial at bottling time along with your priming sugar - about 25ml per 500ml (5%) is the sweet spot Ive found myself, so a good starting point. Also gives you free reign to try many different cordials - I reccomend strawberry ribena (with a little lime juice too :D). If the cordials contain sugar make sure to include this in your priming calcs.

Ive tried brewing with the cordials in the fermenter, but always find they loose most if not all of their potency - most flavour compounds are volatile in nature so I assume get driven out the airlock - although ginger, spices like allspice or clove and lychee are noticable exceptions (apple & lychee is a wonderful blend if you like lychees lol) In a sealed bottle/keg secondary ferment they've nowhere to go ;)
Last edited by Pinto on Sat May 28, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

bquiggerz

Re: Dark fruits

Post by bquiggerz » Sat May 28, 2016 3:01 pm

Thanks pinto, that was exactly the way I was thinking about doing it but wasn't sure if that was the 'right' way to go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk