cider

Post by THE CIDER MAN » Mon May 30, 2016 3:47 pm

can i use a house hold juicer to get the juice from my apples to make my cider

Jim
Site Admin

Re: cider

Post by Jim » Mon May 30, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi Cider Man and welcome to JBK. :)

I don't know the answer, but I'm going to move this post to the Cider Making forum as your question is more likely to be seen there.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Mon May 30, 2016 9:52 pm

Yes, you can, but the quantity involved in making any sensible volume of cider means that all the but the best domestic juicers are at risk of burning out.
A better option, if possible, is to borrow/rent a scratter and press from a local cidermaker or homebrew shop.

THE CIDER MAN

Post by THE CIDER MAN » Tue May 31, 2016 1:31 pm

[quote="oldbloke"]Yes, you can, but the quantity involved in making any sensible volume of cider means that all the but the best domestic juicers are at risk of burning out.
A better option, if possible, is to borrow/rent a scratter and press from a local cidermaker or homebrew shop.[/quote]

thanks oldbloke that help me

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Tue May 31, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi cider man,
Totally agree with oldbloke, I tried using a good quality juicer a few years ago, it did work but was agonisingly slow and I gave up in the end.
I ended up reading through all the posts on here about making your own scatter to pulverise the apples and a press to extract the juice and finally got them made in time for last year's harvest. What a difference! About2 hours to scrat and press 25 litres juice and get the yeast in to begin fermenting.
Cost was under £10 for the scratter, a kitchen waste disposal unit from eBay, and about £15-20 for the bits to make the press. It did need a bit of crafty diy I suppose, but now I'm sorted for future harvests!
Hth

THE CIDER MAN

Post by THE CIDER MAN » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:09 pm

hi lord groan and oldbloke
i like to say thank you for taking the time to answer my question on the juicer it has save me money and time

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:41 pm

I know a chap with an orchard, but it was all eaters rather than varieties suitable for cider and scratter&press hire was going to be about £35/day, so I've stuck to turbocider.

There is a blade-in-a-bucket thing available commercially at a sensible price - you attach it to a power tool - for the scratter part if you intend getting into cider properly, and it's possible to make a press with minimal DIY skills though efficiency is dependent on a good design and build.

If there are other cider makers local to you you can almost certainly borrow the gear.