Flavoured cider

A forum for cider makers
Smokey Robinson

Flavoured cider

Post by Smokey Robinson » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:03 am

Hi guys first post. Im really just starting to make TC and the first couple have been ok. I tried a strawberry flavoured cider using 3.5 ltrs asda apple juice and half a ltr of Ribena strawberry. The end taste was nothing like I expected and not very strawberry at all. Ive read some different opinions on adding flavours to the cider and I was just looking for some advice on whether to flavour the TC after fermentation and before bottling. any advice on which juice or concentrate to add would also be appreciated

Mark

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Flavoured cider

Post by Pinto » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:25 am

It seems that certain flavours carry through fermentation well, and others dont. My personal favourite is Apple and Lychee cider - adding a litre of lychee juice to the ferment leaves just the right level of flavour, but others such as cranberry or raspberry work well too.

If you want to be sure of the flavour carrying over then its better to add your flavouring at the priming stage (the Strawberry Ribena works very well given it's high sugar content so you can use in as part of the priming charge - 25ml per 500ml of cider works well) - you can use whatever flavouring you want, but I try to avoid the NAS ones as they can leave a strange chemical note that isnt present even when I use actual sweeteners to backsweeten.
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here