Mangrove Jacks Apple cider from Imake_UK

A forum for cider makers
Cornel
Tippler

Mangrove Jacks Apple cider from Imake_UK

Post by Cornel » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi all,

I was one of the fortunate winners of the Mangrove Jack's cider giveaway competition from Imake_uk (thanks Mark!) and won the Mangrove Jack’s Craft Series Apple cider. As with the rest of Mangrove Jack’s Craft series range, the Craft Series Cider is also packaged in a cold pressed pouch with a clever design to house two compartments, one wet side and a dry side. The dry side contain the Instructions, Mangrove Jack’s M02 Cider yeast, Sweetener and Cider Essence. The only additional ingredient required is dextrose sugar or ordinary white granulated sugar.

The instructions are easy to follow and anyone from a novice to occasional brewer will find using the kit easy. I took me approximately 15min from start of washing the fermenter to adding water into the airlock so couldn’t be any easier. I added 3l warm water to the fermenter and emptied the wet side and added 1kg dextrose sugar to the fermenter. Filled my fermenter to the 22l mark and got to the point where I had to decide whether I want a dry, off dry or sweet style cider as that would depend on how much sweetener gets added. I got a bit stuck at this point and decided to have a little taste first and wow is that artificial sweetener sweet, so decided to only add half of the sachet and pitched the yeast. After 14 days of fermentation I added the cider essence and kegged/bottled the cider after 24 hrs.

A few important numbers:
Fermentation duration: 14 days
Fermentation Temperature: 24C
SG: 1049
FG: 1004

After a month in the bottle and a couple of days in the fridge I cracked open the first bottle. The Apple cider has a clear golden color with quite an amazing apple aroma. It has a light crisp apple taste and the sweetness is exactly what I was aiming for.

Overall a lovely cider without spending loads of time making a cider and also won’t break the bank. I believe there’s currently 8 recipes in the Craft Series Cider range and will definitely give some of them a try as well.

Cheers,
Cornel
Attachments
1.jpg
2.JPG
3.JPG
5.JPG