Too much Sodium Metabisulphite

A forum for cider makers
AceMcAce
Hollow Legs

Too much Sodium Metabisulphite

Post by AceMcAce » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:19 am

Hey guys

Trying my first cider from apples.

Pressed my apples and got the juice, then added some sodium metabisulphite to kill off the wild yeast. Waited 2 days before pitching.

I've obviously added too much because my yeast has failed. I tried another pack in case it was a bad sachet, and it's failed again.

I probably added a teaspoon to 5 gallons. Way too much.

Any idea what I can do?
Flying the flag for stupidtity since 1985

https://www.youtube.com/oysterboysbrewingco

Stewb

Re: Too much Sodium Metabisulphite

Post by Stewb » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:36 am

Not sure your quantities are that far out, perhaps slightly over. my rule of thumb is 1 crushed tablet per 5-10l. The good news is, if your yeast can't survive, chances are nasties can't either.

The second good news is time is your friend in getting rid of the effect. Bung an airlock on to keep the juice sealed, and wait another couple of days. (I understand wild yeast can recolonise in about 2 weeks so the effect won't last forever)

Perhaps rehydrating the yeast first might help get it going too/ giving it extra sugar to get munching on?

I

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:30 pm

A level teaspoon is equivalent to 10 Campden tablets. Double the max anybody'd normally use in 5gallons, more like 4 times the usual dose, especially if your teaspoon was more than level.

It will decay over time, agitation will help. Some oxygen would also help but you'd risk introducing contaminants.

Give it another couple of days and try again, maybe making a starter with your yeast before pitching. And your yeast will enjoy some nutrient, as apples don't have all that much.

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:17 pm

oldbloke wrote:A level teaspoon is equivalent to 10 Campden tablets. Double the max anybody'd normally use in 5gallons, more like 4 times the usual dose, especially if your teaspoon was more than level.

It will decay over time, agitation will help. Some oxygen would also help but you'd risk introducing contaminants.

Give it another couple of days and try again, maybe making a starter with your yeast before pitching. And your yeast will enjoy some nutrient, as apples don't have all that much.
Ah I see my conversation of teaspoons to tablets and gallons to litres was waaaay off. In which case not much of a surprise.

I'd probably not risk the agitation myself for want of saving time and would try to trust my sanitation and wait for the chemical to disperse for a few days.

I'd definitely try to go with a yeast starter then rather than pitching dry direct in and additional nutrients sounds like a good bet too

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk