Possible infection?

A forum for cider makers
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Possible infection?

Post by Meatymc » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:38 pm

Did a turbo cider on the 4th - same as I did it last time - bought juice, 3 pulsed Bramley's to add a bit of realism, cider Yeast, nutrient, pectolase etc. Any way, not much activity (wasn't sure hold old the yeast was to be honest) so bought some new and banged that in. A week later removed the Bramley (in hop bags) and a week after that found gravity down at 1000. However, there was a thin white film on top so my immediate thought was 'infection'.

I was also bottling a vanilla porter at the same time so thought s&d it - paid for it, brewed it, waited for it, I might as well bottle it. There was no odour and the liquid was clear - so in the bottles it went. That was 10 days ago.

When I look at the bottles there seems to be some sort of matter floating on the top so I gave a couple of bottles a good shake to see if this dropped. Tonight, feeling brave, I've opened a non-shook bottle just for the hell of it. Apart from a very thin - and I mean almost unnoticeable - patchy film (a bit like petrol on water), the liquid is fine and the cider itself more than palatable - in fact it's better than my last effort. I may well have let myself in for a sleepless night revisiting what I'm currently drinking - time will tell.

So my question is, no smell, nothing in suspension, tastes fine, not floccuated as well as before although still really too young to drink - is it/me doomed or is it something less sinister

Any comfort greatly appreciated - sooner rather than later as I'm rather tempted to open another bottle!!!

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Possible infection?

Post by WalesAles » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:46 pm

Meaty,
Put a bottle in the fridge for a couple of hours and try that one.
What do you mean by `no smell`? Do you mean a `bad` smell?
If it tastes OK I wouldn`t worry about it. Put a tester bottle in the fridge every week, taste them.
I`ve had TC tasting great after 11 days in the bottle, not too young at all. All gone by day 14! #-o

WA

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:09 pm

Evening WA. Not very good description was it - by no smell I meant no off-smell. Actually smells very good and damn tasty and I'm still here from the trial bottle so sod it. Had intended this as a Xmas back-up but will probably keep it back just for me.

It is a bit of a wake up call though - it had crossed my mind that I was getting a bit cavalier on procedures. Doing an Xmas porter plus an APA this weekend so a good cleansing of all the kit is in order me thinks!

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:33 am

Meat,
How`s this turned out?

WA