I need a cider how-to please.

A forum for cider makers
RobP

I need a cider how-to please.

Post by RobP » Sun May 21, 2017 1:36 pm

I bought 20 litres of apple juice on a whim because it was on offer really cheap, it's "pure apple juice made from concentrate". I've been a beer maker for a long time but never made cider and I fancy having a go. I've done some searches on the internet (I'm sure there'll be something on this site even but searches haven't turned anything up, sorry) and, surprisingly, can't find a nice "how to" on making cider. Can somebody give me a nice method that will give me the best chance of some quality cider? I don't mind if it takes a long time before it's ready to drink. I have the usual plastic fermenting buckets, fermentation temperature control "chamber" several ale and lager yeasts, yeast nutrient and a variety of acids to hand if that helps.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: I need a cider how-to please.

Post by jaroporter » Sun May 21, 2017 2:45 pm

Have you done a google search for turbo cider? Oldblokes compleat guide to turbo cider is the accepted authority text on the subject. :D And then using the phrase "turbo cider" will help you from there

Cheers
dazzled, doused in gin..

RobP

Post by RobP » Sun May 21, 2017 5:50 pm

jaroporter wrote:Have you done a google search for turbo cider? Oldblokes compleat guide to turbo cider is the accepted authority text on the subject. :D And then using the phrase "turbo cider" will help you from there

Cheers
Thank You!!

Easy when you know how!

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sun May 21, 2017 7:12 pm

RobP

Post by RobP » Sun May 21, 2017 7:25 pm

oldbloke wrote:Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=66468
I already found it, was easy when I knew what to look for. That's a well written and easy to follow guide you did there =D> .
Going to get a couple of bottles of Old Rosie, already have malic acid. Farmhouse Cyder for Christmas (ish).

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Sun May 21, 2017 7:33 pm

You might find that Old Rosie is no longer bottle conditioned so might not give you the source of yeast for a starter. Read this thread for up to date info viewtopic.php?t=75678

RobP

Post by RobP » Sun May 21, 2017 8:20 pm

scotsloon wrote:You might find that Old Rosie is no longer bottle conditioned so might not give you the source of yeast for a starter. Read this thread for up to date info viewtopic.php?t=75678
Well - that's disappointing. Somebody tell them they lost a sale.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Mon May 22, 2017 12:00 pm

So, obvious question:
Anybody know a commercial cider that yeast can be harvested from? - and has the lactobacillus?

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Mon May 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Alternatively, where are you located Rob? Somebody might be able to send or give you some previously cultivated cider yeast.

RobP

Post by RobP » Tue May 23, 2017 8:58 am

scotsloon wrote:Alternatively, where are you located Rob? Somebody might be able to send or give you some previously cultivated cider yeast.
I'm on Isle of Harris but I don't think there's any need to go to that bother, I can get yeast and lactobacillus off a supplier.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue May 23, 2017 9:39 pm

oldbloke wrote:So, obvious question:
Anybody know a commercial cider that yeast can be harvested from? - and has the lactobacillus?
In terms of commercial suppliers, isn't it standard practice to pasteurise these days, to stabilise the product? Aren't there any on CAMRA's 'Real Cider' list?

RobP

Post by RobP » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:10 pm

Been on holiday and a little busy with other stuff and now I'm returning to this.
Does anyone foresee a problem if I use one of the liquid yeast/lactobacillus concoctions, such as...
http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp ... isse-blend

Thanks for the responses so far, by the way.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:40 am

Are you sure you want to add tartness? Apple juice from dessert apples is already tart, it's very acidic due to high levels of malic acid. Some lactobacillus species convert sugars to lactic acid (create tartness, e.g. sour beers) others convert malic acid to lactic acid (reducing tartness, e.g. wine and cider). For cider made from 100% dessert apple juice, I'd recommend the latter MLF. Otherwise is might turn out too acidic to enjoy. As already mentioned, once you have a nice 'blank canvas', after several months, you can modify it with additions, like spices.

RobP

Post by RobP » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:52 am

McMullan wrote:Are you sure you want to add tartness? Apple juice from dessert apples is already tart, it's very acidic due to high levels of malic acid. Some lactobacillus species convert sugars to lactic acid (create tartness, e.g. sour beers) others convert malic acid to lactic acid (reducing tartness, e.g. wine and cider). For cider made from 100% dessert apple juice, I'd recommend the latter MLF. Otherwise is might turn out too acidic to enjoy. As already mentioned, once you have a nice 'blank canvas', after several months, you can modify it with additions, like spices.
I kind of understood that but I forgot. lol. Do you know how to get hold of the right kind of Lactobacillus?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Sent you a PM, RobP.