Does cider produce a krausen?

A forum for cider makers
mixbrewery
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by mixbrewery » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:14 am

Just making my first cider kit (Youngs peach & passionfruit) thanks to a raffle prize at the Homebrew festival :)

The airlock is bubbling nicely to show that fermentation is active but there is no layer foam on top that you get when making beer.
Check out the beers we have for sale @ Mix Brewery

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Does cider produce a krausen?

Post by WalesAles » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:56 pm

Mick,
Did you enjoy the Homebrew Fest?
I`ve never made a Cider Kit so I can`t comment.
However, I have made a few TC`s and I find that if I use a clear Juice, ie, Raspberry, Raspbery and Cranberry, I don`t get a Krausen.
If I use an opaque juice, ie, Mango and Papaya, Kiwi and Lime, I will get a Krausen. If it doesn`t sink before bottling I will scoop off the
muck and carry on as normal. Just checked my Kiwi and Lime TC, all the little debris bits have sunk since scooping off the muck 2 days ago,
so will be OK for bottling Sunday. The TC will be opaque at bottling and I`ve never kept it long enought to see if it will drop bright, (probably not).
The Rhubarb TC made on Sunday (1.2kg from tins) had a 20mm krausen on monday, still 20mm today, broke up the krausen but I know this will
still float back to the surface. I will keep breaking this up just to get the Rhubarb flavour back into the TC. If it hasn`t sunk by day 11, I will scoop
it off and bottle as normal on day 14.

WA

DC
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DC » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:30 pm

WalesAles wrote:Mick,
Did you enjoy the Homebrew Fest?
I`ve never made a Cider Kit so I can`t comment.
However, I have made a few TC`s and I find that if I use a clear Juice, ie, Raspberry, Raspbery and Cranberry, I don`t get a Krausen.
If I use an opaque juice, ie, Mango and Papaya, Kiwi and Lime, I will get a Krausen. If it doesn`t sink before bottling I will scoop off the
muck and carry on as normal. Just checked my Kiwi and Lime TC, all the little debris bits have sunk since scooping off the muck 2 days ago,
so will be OK for bottling Sunday. The TC will be opaque at bottling and I`ve never kept it long enought to see if it will drop bright, (probably not).
The Rhubarb TC made on Sunday (1.2kg from tins) had a 20mm krausen on monday, still 20mm today, broke up the krausen but I know this will
still float back to the surface. I will keep breaking this up just to get the Rhubarb flavour back into the TC. If it hasn`t sunk by day 11, I will scoop
it off and bottle as normal on day 14.

WA

This was my cider a few days back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FV No 1: Nowt
FV No 2: Nowt
FV No 3: Nowt
FV No 4: Nowt
Pressure Barrel No 1: Nowt
Conditioning: Nowt
Drinking: Nowt
Planning:
Yeast Bank: SafAle S04, Youngs Cider Yeast.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:33 pm

My turbociders produce quite a nice thick krausen but I have no idea what kind of juice they use in a kit, so....
Takes at least 24 hours to develop properly though

Crastney
Steady Drinker

Post by Crastney » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:01 am

when I make cider I either let natural yeast do their thing, or use 1 sachet of yeast, so compared to beer, where you have a comparatively massive starter, there's very little yeast, so it'll work a lot slower, which means there will be less Krausen. though it does/can form it's nowhere near as noticeable as on a beer, and it will mostly sink over time. A TC with a big yeast starter with cloudy juice will give you the lava lamp affect and will give you a bigger krausen, especially if you add extra nutrients, something slightly lacking in most ciders. in my opinion a lower temp (18 ish rather then 20+), longer ferment is a lot better for cider, which is why if it's ready in two weeks, it's probably not going to taste great, or will have extras added to cover that. if it's sweet and fizzy and you have to serve it cold, then that's probably covering up for it probably being a not particularly great cider (all in my opinion of course). some kits can turn out great, but they usually do after a longer wait than recommended on the instructions.

Glad you enjoyed the festival, and it's nice to know that a raffle prize winner is making use of the prize (I got a coopers kit, that I will get round to making at some point, when I have a free fermentor).