Fixing a Fruit shark

A forum for cider makers
wilfh
Piss Artist

Fixing a Fruit shark

Post by wilfh » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:34 pm

My trusty fruit shark (scratter) has died. Anyone got any experience fixing one? It looks like I got water in it.
Cheers Wilf

Crastney
Steady Drinker

Re: Fixing a Fruit shark

Post by Crastney » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:09 pm

I built my own. each year a different bit gets replaced, it's a bit like Trigger's Broom.
this year my friend doing the scratting was putting to much downward pressure on the handle, and the screws in the main spindle started biting into the chipboard, and the side hole enlarged enough that the whole thing almost fell apart. Had to add on some extra bits to keep the spindle in place, and adjusted the handle with some locking nuts so that it didn't keep unwinding itself.

a better description of your problem, or pictures, would be very useful in diagnosis.

[edit to add]
I thought fruit shark was just your nickname for a scratter - just googled it to find it's an actual thing from Vigo Press. £500! I'd find a mechanic, or contact the maker if you've only had it short while.
again though, it depends what's wrong with it.

[edit again]
given the job they do, they're going to produce some splashes of juice, you'd think they'd be at least splash proof if not a bit more water resistant?