No. 23 - Cider

A forum for cider makers
Crastney
Steady Drinker

No. 23 - Cider

Post by Crastney » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:56 pm

So on Monday a group of us had an apple pressing. about 12 bags of apples from a neighbours tree, three bags of apples from my brother's father in law, a bag of pears, and a bag of apples from another neighbour. Apples chopped, lots of maggots found, and cut out as many as possible, scratted and pressed to get an FV full (one with a screw top lid, not a pressure vessel), 2 single gallon DJs full, 14 beer bottles of apple juice - pasteurised, and another litre for topping up the cider (left it below the top to allow for vigorous ferment).
Added 2 Camden Tablets crushed per gallon of juice, and also set up a starter of youngs wine yeast, with apple juice, and a tsp of yeast nutrient (tronozymol) - yesterday morning I added more juice to the starter, and gave it a shake to aerate, some time in the afternoon I shook the starter and added it in equal measures to the FV and DJs. This morning there's no action at all - still flat, no bubbles, no movement in airlock.
Temperature might be on the low side, it's in the kitchen on the floor, so might be lower than 18.

is it too early to be worried? should I wait to see what's happening when I get home tonight?