Cheap scratter

A forum for cider makers
jaquiss2005
Tippler

Cheap scratter

Post by jaquiss2005 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:04 pm

I only make around 6/7 gallons of cider each year and still looking for cheap scratter option. Have tried using food processor (fine but time consuming), and breaking up with a lump of wood amongst other things

Has anyone tried using one of these? If so any good or has anyone any alternative suggestions?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEAT-MINCER-H ... SwGJlZLEhG

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Re: Cheap scratter

Post by scotsloon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:47 pm

I've used one of these, its hard work but it works. I got mine from Freecycle for nothing. It would improve things if you could hook it up to an electric drill. You can also use one of these to crack grain if you have bought your grain uncracked.

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:39 pm

My daughter took this picture 2 weeks ago when we were scratting, please excuse her helpful notations!
The scratter is the waste disposal unit, I got it second hand for £8 or £9 IIRC and then I dismantled it for Very careful cleaning and sterilising. I mounted it on the board so I could hang it from my press at a comfy height. In action I run it with just the elbow on the outlet, not the pipe which blocks up if i keep it on. The pipe goes on pointing up just before use and I fill the unit with a hot bleach solution to sterilise. Then turn the pipe down to empty it and hose it through thoroughly before beginning. This scrats two 30 litre mango chutney barrels of apples in about 45 minutes. We quarter the apples and then send them through. The unit gets so hot after 45 mins I have to switch it off so be aware that this has limitations too, but it does everything I need and is way faster than the borrowed juicer I tried before.
Afterwards I undo the 4 screws holding the scratting chamber on to the motor unit and clean it out. I find a lot of pips and skin get stuck inside and they go horribly mouldy if you don't clean it properly.
So it was cheap and its limit is about 45 mins running time which usually gets me 15-20 litres of juice after pressing
hth

Sihitch2010

Post by Sihitch2010 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:44 pm

I am going to experiment with a decorators mixing paddle attached to an electric drill....