Dry hopped cider!

A forum for cider makers
gibbiem

Dry hopped cider!

Post by gibbiem » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:34 pm

Anyone tried it?

Just put my first cider on. 8 litres of Tesco apple juice not from concentrate and 4 litres of the apple and mango.

Also mixed up up about 700g of honey with boiling water to make another 2 litres of surgery goodness.

So I've got 14 litres in the FV with a starting gravity of 1060. I've used GV13 yeast from wilkos.

Plan is, because I'm a massive hop head, dry hop it with 50g of galaxy hops! For anyone that doesn't know much about hops, galaxy give a nice mango/stone fruit aroma so I reckon it'll be really good.

Went in the FV yesterday, will add hops once the initial fermentation finishes and report back.

Peace out.

Juice used below: ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Dry hopped cider!

Post by WalesAles » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:39 pm

gib,
Anyone tried it?
Course they have! :D
Read the whole thread, great fun to be had! :D

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=59985

Must do another one now after reading that old thread.

WA

Keep us posted! =D>

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Cheers WA. Been looking through that other forum, might have been better posting there.

The cider is coming along nicely. This is week. It went from 1060 to 1008 in a week and a half! Taste is good, don't want it much drier.

I added 50g of Galaxy hops last Thursday/Friday so will give that a week then bottle and condition.

How do I back sweeten? I want a fizzy cider so will add some priming sugar. Will this sweeten it also? I'm thinking this sugar will just be used to carbonate it?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:50 pm

Gib,
I don`t back sweeten my TC but I`ve read that some people use `Splenda` or that type of thing.
Just add to the pint to taste.
100gr of priming should give you a fizzy TC for 14Lts. (Batch priming, not per bottle) :D :D

WA