mead

For those making mead and related drinks
fatbloke

Re: mead

Post by fatbloke » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:29 pm

I suspect that whether you get much orange flavour depends on the orange. I've had 2 that it was quite pronounced and a couple where it was a back ground taste.

I also had one where I over did the cloves......and that was hideous !

Newt Dundee

Post by Newt Dundee » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:25 pm

OK, so trying to classify any mead and place it into a box is more of a technicality unlike defining features in Lager, Bitter and Stout for example.

I'm pleased to hear that Lidl honey comes recommended, we have one at the bottom of the road. Am I right that with it being 2 and a half pounds, that equates to just over a kilogram? How important is it to have that extra 100g of honey? Would it be OK to use some of my regular honey to top it up if I just used 2 500g jars?

So many questions, so much to learn! It looked easy to start with.... it probably is if I hadn't started to think about it too much! I guess the bottom line is, would you recommend this recipe for a first timer?

I'm under no illusion that these things take time, unlike the beer I have on a the moment, this may be ready for the autumn if I was to put it in this weekend?

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:15 pm

Newt Dundee wrote:OK, so trying to classify any mead and place it into a box is more of a technicality unlike defining features in Lager, Bitter and Stout for example.[/qoute]
No, basically there's a classification for most types of mead. Some are quite specific, whereas other types are more general. There's a list floating around the net somewhere, but JAO is unusual in it's method, and as it has both fruit and spices, it could be either. People just tend to call it JAO as it fits into more than one category.
I'm pleased to hear that Lidl honey comes recommended, we have one at the bottom of the road. Am I right that with it being 2 and a half pounds, that equates to just over a kilogram? How important is it to have that extra 100g of honey? Would it be OK to use some of my regular honey to top it up if I just used 2 500g jars?
1kg is 2.2lb. Without looking up the exact recipe, I seem to recall that it uses 3.5lb of honey, which is 1.58kg. There's no reason why you can't use a bit of your regular honey - the lidl stuff will have been heat treated, filtered and blended - with eating or cooking in mind. It would probably be a bit too unremarkable for a traditional mead - that's where you want quality, which can be equated with more than just taste. IMO and many other (mainly) mead makers, quality is raw honey, straight from the bee keeper. No heat treatment, no filtration, no blending other than what the bees will have done when collecting the nectar to make the honey.
So many questions, so much to learn! It looked easy to start with.... it probably is if I hadn't started to think about it too much! I guess the bottom line is, would you recommend this recipe for a first timer?

I'm under no illusion that these things take time, unlike the beer I have on a the moment, this may be ready for the autumn if I was to put it in this weekend?
The JAO recipe is, as I understand, designed for the new mead maker, so you can get all the ingredients from a grocery place/supermarket. There's a few things to remember i.e. it's actually designed as a 1 US gallon mix, yet when I first made one, I kept to the numbers but automatically made it up to 1 imp gallon. So it still finished sweet, but just not as sweet as it would if made up to 1 US gallon.

Of course, if you read the JAO thread over at Gotmead, you may find comments from Oskaar, who has contact with Joe Matiolli and that any changes however small, would be considered "voiding the warranty", but still like the yeast he mentions is a US brand and not available here, so I just use whatever (used both Allinsons, Co-op own brand and Hovis brands to no ill effect). Plus other tips like filling a DJ initially to no more than where the shoulders of the glass start to turn in, then letting it go for a week or so, until most of the more violent fermentation has settled down then topping it up with a bit more water, then you don't tend to get mead fountains........

Or despite what he says about being impatient and not bothering to wait for the fruit too sink. Let the stuff sink, because bread yeast is a bugger and doesn't flocculate/settle/compact down well and any floating fruit will have some sediment settled on it and as soon as you put a racking cane in to rack, knocking the fruit will bring some of the sediment back into suspension making a previously clear one cloudy again, when you have to clear it again, by whatever method.

Etc etc.....

So yes, it's a good first brew to start with, especially if you stick to the recipe as closely as you can so you've made a "bench mark" batch.....