wet hop recipe?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
windrider
Piss Artist

wet hop recipe?

Post by windrider » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:23 pm

1st ever home grown hops look like they are nearly ready to harvest (First Gold). I’m planning on using them in a wet hop recipe, but having never done anything like this would appreciate some advice on the below.

Obviously I don’t know the weight / amount of the hops I’ll harvest (I’m hoping I’ll get over 200 grams). If I don’t have enough I’ll use the wet hops on the late addition only. I’m not really following bittering scale but hoping the challenger will be enough then whatever the 10 minute addition will add.

If I do harvest more than that I’ll just chuck it all in :D Any good?

Recipe Overview

Style: British Golden Ale
ABV: 5%

Original Gravity (OG): 1.054
IBU's (Tinseth): 30
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.56
Colour: 11 EBC = 5.6 SRM

Volumes & Gravities

Total Water Needed (TWN): 35.24 L
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 20 L

The Grain Bill

92% Maris Otter (5.5 EBC = 2.8 SRM) 4799 grams = 10.58 pounds
4% Amber Malt (50 EBC = 25.4 SRM) 210 grams = 0.46 pounds
4% Torrified Wheat (4 EBC = 2 SRM) 210 grams = 0.46 pounds

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

21.1 IBU Challenger Pellets (7.8%AA) 25.8 grams = at 60 mins
First Gold Flowers 130.4 grams = at 10 mins
First Gold Flowers 130.4 grams = at 0 mins

Fermentation & Conditioning
Fermentation: WLP005 British Ale Yeast for 14 days at 19 C = 66.2 F

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Re: wet hop recipe?

Post by Bad 'Ed » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:28 pm

I'm also going to be in a similar situation in a month or so. Do you need to do anything to the hops before you put them in? Is a quick shake to get rid of most of the spiders etc enough?
Never enough time...

windrider
Piss Artist

Post by windrider » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:36 pm

Bad 'Ed wrote:I'm also going to be in a similar situation in a month or so. Do you need to do anything to the hops before you put them in? Is a quick shake to get rid of most of the spiders etc enough?
I think people literally just throw them in straight from the bine :shock: so that's what i'm going to do. I'm sure the boil will deal with the rest haha.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:08 pm

windrider wrote:
Bad 'Ed wrote:I'm also going to be in a similar situation in a month or so. Do you need to do anything to the hops before you put them in? Is a quick shake to get rid of most of the spiders etc enough?
I think people literally just throw them in straight from the bine :shock: so that's what i'm going to do. I'm sure the boil will deal with the rest haha.
The Bugs and Spiders and all the other things hiding should give some `Body` to the Beer! :D
And a bit of `Crunch`!

WA