All Time Favourite AG Recipe?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
OhDannyBoy!
Sober

All Time Favourite AG Recipe?

Post by OhDannyBoy! » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if folks would be willing to share their all time favourite recipe, or maybe a couple if you've got a few! :lol:

Could be a great post for inspiration!

Cheers, Dan.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: All Time Favourite AG Recipe?

Post by Cobnut » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm

My most regular brew is a Bavarian wheat beer (hefeweizen) named “Hazelweiss” after my wife of 31 years.

It has ben through a few different variants, but essentially:

60% wheat malt (I generally use Crisps)
40% lager/pilsner malt (although I’ve used English pale when short of lager malt, and the difference is not huge)

OG 1050
I usually mash for 60 mins at 65C and mash out at 75C for 10 mins

Early versions used - would you believe - Citra hops, but I’ve gone more traditional with recent versions and used Hallertauer Mittelfrüh. Recent versions have been c. 12 IBU at 60 mins and a further 2 IBU at 10 mins and that seems to work well. Don’t go above c. 18 IBU total at this gravity.

I have also tried various weissbier yeasts - wet and dry - but find that Mangrove Jacks M20 Bavarian Wheat beer yeast works best. Ferment at 17C for 5 days and then raise temp to 22/23C for a further couple of days and then bottle with 8g/L table sugar to give plenty of carbonation.

My wife loves it as do several of my friends. And it has won me a number of competition prizes, including a couple of Best of Show awards.

I would also suggest that you adjust your liquor to 20-30 ppm alkalinity as CaCo3.

Hope it works out for you.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:28 pm

I have a simple cascade smash.

4 kg pale/500g wheat malt
65c 60m
45 min boil.
30g @-15
40g @-30 with irish moss
50g @85c for 30m

Notty at 19c

Marvellous drinking summer ale

micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Post by micmacmoc » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:11 pm

Graham Wheeler’s Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild or his Exmoor Gold. You couldn't get two beers much further apart but both magic!
GW you are much missed and well remembered!

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:39 am

micmacmoc wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:11 pm
Graham Wheeler’s Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild or his Exmoor Gold. You couldn't get two beers much further apart but both magic!
GW you are much missed and well remembered!
Here he is
Graham%20Wheeler%201_zpsrtbzzsxd.JPG
Graham%20Wheeler%201_zpsrtbzzsxd.JPG (46.62 KiB) Viewed 83 times
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)