Kozel Dark

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
EportJake
Piss Artist

Kozel Dark

Post by EportJake » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:11 pm

Has anybody got a recipe for this beer? It's a beauty.
BREWERY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

badgerdan

Re: Kozel Dark

Post by badgerdan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:16 pm

I second that, this is a real beauty and may well become my favorite beer :)

delboy

Post by delboy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:11 pm

I've brewed a dark lager before so this thread intrigued me, found this on the aussie homebrew site (bconnery is the poster)

"Many moons ago I found this on a site that sold AG kits in the US.
The recipe claims to be from an actual brew day in a Czech brewery, so is an 'authentic' Czech style dark lager.
How true I don't know, and I haven't tried it yet, although it is on the list...

"14° Moravian Dark Lager $20
This recipe is taken directly from the brewlog from the day I spent brewing in the Moravia.
44% Budvar malt, 44% light munich, 10% 55Lov crystal, and 2% black patent. See complete details.
5 lb Budvar malt, 5 lb munich, 1.1 lb crystal 55, 3 oz black patent, 1 oz Saaz, 1 oz Saaz, 1 oz Saaz, Budvar yeast, 1 cup corn sugar. Three hop additions at 90, 60, 20 minutes. "

So sorry, no AA of the hops, but it's a few years old and I think Saaz has decreased AA% wise recently, so you could easily adjust to get your desired IBUs..."

For the a UK style version i'd go with
44 % lager malt
44 % munich (or vienna)
10 % crystal
2 % black patent
125g of sugar

Budvar yeast (available from whitelabs) czech budjuivce or similar spelling.

Or you could go with us-o5/nottingham if you can't lager and hope for the best.

badgerdan

Post by badgerdan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Excellent, but is there a way to change it into an extract recipe?

delboy

Post by delboy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:27 pm

I'd imagine its going to be very difficult trying to recreate that recipe as an extract, especially since spray malt seems to come in only three varities over here light, medium and dark.

Maybe somebody else can help you out with that one though.

oblivious

Post by oblivious » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:54 am

I had this beer for the first time a few weeks ago very nice, I would love ot see more dark lager more widely available

EportJake
Piss Artist

Post by EportJake » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:33 pm

Nice to see I'm not the only one who has tried and enjoyed this beer. I'll be giving delboy's recipe a blast I reckon.
BREWERY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

skraggy_uk
Steady Drinker

Post by skraggy_uk » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:29 pm

Never tried Kozel, but I have tried Herald Black at several Beer Festivals, and Efes Dark Pilsner when in Turkey, so it looks interesting.
Will have to get a Dark lager on the go when I get my first kit brew for 20 years out of the way.
DJ1: Black Nasty: Spiced golden syrup/black treacle experimental brew. Primary
DJ2: Elderflower WTF: Golden syrup/Elderflower cordial/Juniper berry experiment Primary
DJ3: Vimto Turbo Cider Primary
DJ4: Basic mead secondary
DJ5: Lowicz Strawberry &Tesco Lime cordial Turbo cider secondary
Bottled 1: Tesco Cherry & Berries cloudy In the dark place.
Bottled 2: Tesco Summer Berries Turbo Cider
Easy Keg 1: Lowicz Raspberry Turbo Cider

Well that escalated quickly :)

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:40 pm

Resurrecting this thread following a recent trip to Prague where I had several “pints” of Kozel Dark. It’s a lovely beer which put me in mind of a Dark mild, but with a lager like crispness.

Just wondering whether any of the folk who contributed to this thread are still about on JBK, and also whether anyone has managed to create something close to Kozel Dark?

Merry Christmas one and all!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:43 pm

The coca cola of beers is how I describe this beer, just too nice to drink. My local club went down the rabbit hole trying to clone this beer a few years back. will look up the 2 recpes I did later. Do recall getting Franconian Drak Lager yeast to use for this once, WLP4030.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:14 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:40 pm
Resurrecting this thread following a recent trip to Prague where I had several “pints” of Kozel Dark. It’s a lovely beer which put me in mind of a Dark mild, but with a lager like crispness.

I have some cans of Kozel Černý in the fridge now. That’s exactly how I would describe it. It’s only 3.8% I was confused about its origins, assuming at first it was Czech, then thought it might me Polish (there’s a Polish community in my town) and websites say both, but Wikipedia says Czech.
I also have cans of ŽATECKÝ ČERNÝ which is identical.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:21 am

john luc wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:43 pm
The coca cola of beers is how I describe this beer, just too nice to drink. My local club went down the rabbit hole trying to clone this beer a few years back. will look up the 2 recpes I did later. Do recall getting Franconian Drak Lager yeast to use for this once, WLP4030.
Thanks John Luc.

A friend in my HBC has contacts with the Czech beer ambassador to the uk (I was surprised they have one too!) and he has said he will ask for details of this beer…I’m still waiting, but moderately hopeful. If I do get anything I will share here.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!