Tetley bitter clone.........

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Tetley bitter clone.........

Post by trucker5774 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:33 am

I went to my local and had a pint of Abbots, then all 3 guest ales ran out before :shock: :shock: my 2nd pint. I was forced to have a tetley of leave. I did consider leaving but, well....errrr. Anyway they first half of the pint was really good :!: the 2nd half was not bad but just beer.

The post by Yash seems like something I would have said.

The serious answer would have come along a little later I'm sure. Bopper if you are reading, come back and join in and have a laugh. If you have read some of the stick I have taken on here you will wonder why I have stayed for over 1000 posts :wink:
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

critch

Post by critch » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:48 pm

as geoff acton who brews for tetleys asked me on a cellar managment course

"mr critchley whats the first thing that comes into your mind when you have a mouthful of tetleys?"

without thinking i replied "old socks and cardboard"

he dint like me much after that :mrgreen:

softlad

Post by softlad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Bopper wrote:Never mind!!!!!!! I shall never post on this forum again! Cant even get a sensible answer! You cant bogde brew.......maybe this, maybe that! Why post ??????? everyone knows they use: Northdown ....Nuthin more to say! :arrow: EXIT
What went wrong ?

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:16 pm

I actually like the Tetley's available here in a nitro can - Smoothflow, I guess? But at $40 (£25) a case of 24 14.9 oz. cans it is pretty expensive so I seldom buy it.
A lot of British beer available here is bland and stale, which is why I brew my own. Canned beer is usually fresher, domestic or imported.
I think Tetley's would be pretty easy to emulate, and no doubt improve upon. I think I would use WLP002 (English) because Tetley's has a slight diacetyl, butterscotch taste don't you think?
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

adeybambam

Post by adeybambam » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:45 pm

Not sure about the recipe, but "Invalid stout" above has it right about the sparkler and an autovac. I would only drink Tetley's in a few pubs round Leeds, but invariably the ones where I would have that system. I know I may get shot down, but it can be a lovely pint if served like that.

Not sure about just dipping dirty fingers in though!

yashicamat
Under the Table

Post by yashicamat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:16 pm

I can't believe this thread is still doing the rounds. :lol:
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:01 pm

arturobandini wrote:Alas poor Bopper, torn apart for his love of Tetley.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Class! =D>

Really though...Bopper- what a mardy- arse! the saying 'ask a stupid question' springs to mind. now where did i put my can of john smiths smooth??

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:03 pm

Hey! I have an Imperial pint glass with the John Smith's Extra Smooth logo etched on it and I've always wondered what it was like - is it good? bad? Indifferent?
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Invalid Stout

Post by Invalid Stout » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:11 pm

adeybambam wrote:Not sure about the recipe, but "Invalid stout" above has it right about the sparkler and an autovac. I would only drink Tetley's in a few pubs round Leeds, but invariably the ones where I would have that system. I know I may get shot down, but it can be a lovely pint if served like that.
I was under the impression the autovac was actually illegal these days. Not true?

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:47 pm

Here I was thinking Smith's was a cool country ale. Just another big faceless corporation with a characterless beer.

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:24 am

Trefoyl wrote:Here I was thinking Smith's was a cool country ale. Just another big faceless corporation with a characterless beer.
yeah its basicly Tetleys in a differanty coloured can, bland , tasteless throth... anyone got the recipe? :lol:

softlad

Post by softlad » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:43 am

I've got a recipe and I'd love to post it but these two blokes came round, tasted it and ....

bs3mdp

Post by bs3mdp » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:47 pm

i love this thread... i think its my favourite =D>

why anybody would want to emulate tetleys or john smiths is beyond me.... next thing you know there will be someone in the cider forum asking for a recipe for a White Lightning clone because they want to emulate that chemical/eggy taste #-o

coatesg

Post by coatesg » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:06 pm

adeybambam wrote:I know I may get shot down, but it can be a lovely pint if served like that.
Actually, I have had two (only two ever!) good pints of Tetley's Cask before so it is possible (rare, but possible). Of course other times it has been a bit ropey and thankfully it doesn't get a look in amongst the beers we have down these parts; and nothing on God's Earth would make me drink Tetleys Smoothflow or whatever it is. Same with John Smiths and Worthingtons. :shudder: I'd rather drive! :shock:

adeybambam

Post by adeybambam » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:35 pm

Invalid Stout - I've also been told the autovac system is illegal , but I know a few pubs round here that have it, plus at least one is also cask mark certified. Anyone else know the legal position?