St Austell 'Proper Job'

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

St Austell 'Proper Job'

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:11 pm

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has successfully cloned this pint? Would be interested in giving it a go if it was close.

Cheers!

jubby
Under the Table

Re: St Austell 'Proper Job'

Post by jubby » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:23 pm

floydmeddler wrote:Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has successfully cloned this pint? Would be interested in giving it a go if it was close.

Cheers!
Me too :!:
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:55 am

Not clone as such but inspired by PJ and was in the ballpark taste wise.

Pale Malt 92.7%
Munich Malt 5.0%
Light Crystal 2.3%

Chinook 23.2IBU 90min
Willamette 6.6IBU 15min
Willamette 4.0IBU 5min
Willamette 0.9IBU 1min
Cascade 30g 8.0% 20min at 80C

Wyeast 1275

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:59 pm

Ta scooby. :D
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

paulcav

Post by paulcav » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:56 pm

They've got this on at my local. Loved it so checked the website but their description of it looked wrong so I phoned the brewery and they agreed that what the website said wasn't right. The above recipe looks close, especially the hops.

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:25 pm

Just tried a side-by-side comparison of the one I did 15th Oct, compared with bottled PJ,
V. similar to scooby/mauri but only PM, bit stronger to get bottled FG,
target 25L at 1055, got 26.5L at 1048

5750 gms PM

Cinook 30 90
Willamette 25 10
Cascade 20 10
Willamette 30 5
Willamette 30 1
Cascade 30 0

Re-claimed St Austell yeast from "new" bottles.

Less aroma, very similar mouthfeel, slightly less sweet, I've got a haze, good head retension.
Sorry this is so wobbly, it was too good to stop at one :beer: :beer: :beer:

SHE likes it!!!

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:11 pm

Cheers for the info. Will add this to the list of "to brews". :D

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:08 am

Well, its a good starting point!
I started the mash at about 68C to try for more body, I will probably go for RIMsing it at 68/69C next time for extra sweetness and body.
I added a bit too much water before the boil, so it ended up at 26.5L, with about 2L lost in the wet hops/boiler, so it would have been much closer to my target gravity of 1055.
I will increase steep hops and start cooling earlier, maybe a Lakeland infuser full of cascade and willamette in the secondary FV.
Over the next months/years I am going to be trying very hard to get this as close as I can, its bloody gorgeous!!
Having said that, if yours turns out anything like this one, I am sure you will love it anyway - very best of luck!

cooldad
Steady Drinker

Post by cooldad » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:24 pm

With what befuggled did, tried something similar recipe was.
5.7kg M.O.
23 IBU Chinnock 90min
2.7 ibu willamette 15min
7.7 ibu cascade 10min
2.4 ibu willamette 10min
And then a handful of cascade with boiler off waited 20min before chilling .
Yeast was SO5 OG was 1047 FG 1007
Just gone into the keg and tastes a bit too bitter, but early days , will have to wait and see .
keg 18th special
keg 2 proper job clone
keg 3 fullers porter
fv, fullers london pride
bottles,Old Peck.
planned ,everything.

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:51 pm

I am now on my third variation.
The second was similar to the first but with a bit more cascade at stage two, then dry hopped during secondary.
This is awaiting kegging next week.

The third is "Jobbies Bigger Brother", 50gms Cascade at stages two and four, 7500gm MO, OG=1.064.
So that's Chinook 28ebu, Willamette 4 and 2, Cascade 10.
33gms Willamette and 50gms Cascade at flame out, wait 15 mins, recirc cool, wait 30 mins.
Crystal clear wort tasted wonderful even at that stage.

I have had a problem with the reclaimed St Austell yeast, I had been using it for about 7 other brews, passing on the yeast beween each one.
It has either mutated or, if it was a originally a mixture, then one has become dominant.
The overall effact was a loss of attenuation, with the second lot stopping at 1.016, damn. Still tastes promising though!
I have used SA-33 in the last lot.

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:42 pm

Cheers for the info Befuggled. Really appreciate you keeping us up to date. Would you believe I haven't tasted the stuff yet? Can't find it anywhere! Will brew a good clone regardless though as everyone seems to love it. :D

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:00 am

Getting better! :D :D

Second attempt, "IJ2", tried over the last two days. First the history:
Made 13 November, recipe and timings as above, got 27.5L at 1.054.
Racked and dry hopped 28th, 5gm Willamette, 10gm Cascade.
Fined with Harris two part 9th, 10th December.
Into cornie and two mini kegs on 15th. Cornie carbonated, one mini keg primed.
Second mini keg was not full and was carbonated with the 16gm bulbs, shaken while still at garage temperature (about 10C).
I have never tried this before, but as it was almost completely clear and I was thirsty..... =P~

Opened a bottle of proper Proper Job for comparison and poured to flatten it somewhat.
Result:
SWMBO says the IJ2 has a bit more of "something" than the Proper. I did not originally agree, thinking that there was less "nose" and a bit less "sweet hops".
So here comes the interesting bit. I have also had an attempt at Kelham Island "Pale Rider". This is arguably either all Willamette or Willamette and "German hops".
I made mine with just Willamette. By pure luck, :^o , I had a mini keg of this Pale Rider to hand 8) .
Now, a comparison of all three seems to show that the IJ2 has a bit more Willamette taste than the Proper.
So SWMBO was noticing the Willamette more and I was concentrating on the Cascade.
(I really need to get a bottle of Purity Mad Goose for the next comparison!!)
Unfortunately, my Cascade only is not ready so this bit will have to wait.

Overall though, the dry hopping has helped, I will add a bit more Cascade next time, both at flame out and dry. I will leave the Willamette out of the dry hopping.
Final decision as to what to do next time will depend on how the cornie and the other mini keg turn out over time.
However close this might actually be, it is extremely drinkable :D :D :D . Trouble is that the rellies are here for four days over New Year and the brother-in-law really liked IJ1 :( :( !!

The IJ3, or "Jobbies Bigger Brother" is still at 1.022 and falling very slowly. I am hoping it will get to 6.8%, somewhat more in the direction of a true IPA, although with these hops, they should probably all be called APAs!

Cooldad - In my limited experience with this, the initial bitterness will mellow, although at 1.007 that is lower than anything I have done!
I have found the mellowing particularly noticeable with Fuggles (Pendle Witches Brew etc) and Willamette is supposed to be similar to and/or derived from Fuggles.
(I stuck a hydrometer into proper bottled PJ and it said 1.010.)

Floydmeddler - you ought to consider a trip to Cornwall over the festive period!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you can find Purity Mad Goose it will give you an idea, they use Hallertau to bitter instead of Chinook, but the Willamette/Cascade are the same.
Both PJ on draught and MG are rather less than the 5.5% of bottled PJ.

floydmeddler

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:13 am

Cheers for the info once again. Really want to try the stuff!

I love Cascade. Probably my favourite hop.

cooldad
Steady Drinker

Post by cooldad » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:35 pm

It's very young still but the bitterness is changing .This is one of my favorite beers and swmbo bought me a case for xmas so I have something to compare it to now . I think mine needs more cascade in the end of boiling and a bit less challenger. The colour in mine is a lot lighter so might use a little drop of brewers caramel in the next one or a bit of crystal to kick in a bit of maltness that I think is missing . Not quite right but i'll get there.
keg 18th special
keg 2 proper job clone
keg 3 fullers porter
fv, fullers london pride
bottles,Old Peck.
planned ,everything.

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:24 pm

I wonder whether a slightly higher mash temperature might help??
My last one stopped fermenting at over 1.020, so I might have gone too far, but the second seems to have a bit of the body missing from the first attempt.
My colour is pretty well spot on and I would rather keep the crystal out of this - maybe a bit of Carapils? - I have got some to try in a proper Belgian Stella for the wife.
Sadly, I only have one bottle of the proper PJ left for comparisons, but I will give this a three, if not four way test when the rellies are here in a couple of days!