Adnams Brew Ingredients

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Kegman

Adnams Brew Ingredients

Post by Kegman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi all,

When I was doing an Adnams Brewery tour not so long ago they showed me and allowed me to photograph a chart showing the ingredients of all of their beers. I've managed to straighten it up a bit and add parts which were lost due to the glare from the flash (I had another picture I referred to) so if anyone is interested here it is:

http://soundsunique.co.uk/images/brewin ... dients.jpg

I've uploaded the full size picture so you can download it and zoom in to read the text, most of it is there. It doesn't give you measurements or timings but might help if you're trying to find out what ingredient gives a beer a particular taste, so that you can use it in you own recipes. With something like Graham Wheelers Beer Engine it could even help you on your way to making a good clone.

Kegman.

Dr. Dextrin

Re: Adnams Brew Ingredients

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks. That's really interesting.

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:38 pm

Nice one :D
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:56 am

I couldn't make out the first ingredient, which is in everything, but it must be a base malt. Does it say something like tipple? I also noticed that for the standard bitter no Boadicea hop was being used but in GW's BYOBRA he mentions it. It Protz's Real Ale Almanac he mentions Challenger but that isn't marked up either, nor indeed invert sugar. Forgive my cynicism but I doubt they would really allow photogaphs of what they really use.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Kegman

Post by Kegman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:22 pm

orlando wrote:I couldn't make out the first ingredient, which is in everything, but it must be a base malt. Does it say something like tipple? I also noticed that for the standard bitter no Boadicea hop was being used but in GW's BYOBRA he mentions it. It Protz's Real Ale Almanac he mentions Challenger but that isn't marked up either, nor indeed invert sugar. Forgive my cynicism but I doubt they would really allow photogaphs of what they really use.
Yes it says "Tipple".

I appreciate your cynicism. I asked the tour guide about Boadicea in The Bitter (as I'd also read it in Graham's book) and he produced this at the end of the tour to show what was in it. I asked if I could photograph it and joked about stealing their recipes and he was fine with it.

All we have here is a list of ingredients, there's no measurements, methods timings etc. Famous chefs go on TV and publish books telling us exactly how to create their signature dishes and even with all that information we can't replicate them.

I don't think the brewery is under threat at this time :)

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:38 pm

Boadicea was used in the bitter, and prior to that it was fuggles and goldings.

Breweries often change and blend hops to make up for shortages in supply.

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:16 am

That's an interesting find.

Adnam's Regatta is my favourite beer of all time. I'd love to make a clone of it but not sure if that's quite possible using the chart. If anyone knows of one please let me know.

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:18 am

Found one myself. Would be interested if anyone has tried this.

http://jimsbeerkit.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ee1f#p2528

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Look at that weird Irish Stout! No roasted barley or black malt, and no hops at all?! The rest of the chart is very precise, do you think those are mistakes? I've never tasted Adnams Irish Stout, have any of you guys?

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:06 am

It's my Birthday on the 9th February (a Saturday) and SWMBO has agreed to take me there for the brewery tour :flip: Lunch in the Swan and then a few in the Nelson for afters. :lol: So, what would you like to know? Give me a list of questions and I will take them with me and report back. I will take picture where allowed and, having no shame, will ask them for some yeast :roll: . If they give me some, which I very much doubt, I will plate it up and make some slants [-o<

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Monkeybrew

Post by Monkeybrew » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:02 am

orlando wrote:It's my Birthday on the 9th February (a Saturday) and SWMBO has agreed to take me there for the brewery tour :flip: Lunch in the Swan and then a few in the Nelson for afters. :lol: So, what would you like to know? Give me a list of questions and I will take them with me and report back. I will take picture where allowed and, having no shame, will ask them for some yeast :roll: . If they give me some, which I very much doubt, I will plate it up and make some slants [-o<
Sounds like a good pressie!

I plan a visit there this year, as I'm not too far away in Colchester.

Have fun.

MB
FV:

Conditioning:

On Tap:

orlando

Post by orlando » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:28 pm

I'm booked in for Saturday Feb. 9th. What do you want to know?

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Monkeybrew

Post by Monkeybrew » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:52 pm

I'd love to know what makes up 'Ghostship' - what malts and hops they use :-)
FV:

Conditioning:

On Tap:

seymour

Post by seymour » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:04 pm

Monkeybrew wrote:I'd love to know what makes up 'Ghostship' - what malts and hops they use :-)
Your answer is clearly stated on the chart shown at the beginning of this thread. I'd recommend studying it before your tour in case it leads to more in-depth questions. Kegman threw us all a HUGE bone with that picture.

Adnams Ghost Ship
4.5% ABV
Grains: Tipple, Rye Crystal Malt, CaraPils Malt
Hops: Chinook, Motueka & Citra
then, of course, it's fermented with their proprietary dual-strain yeast

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:22 pm

orlando wrote:I'm booked in for Saturday Feb. 9th. What do you want to know?
Well, I've allways wonderd how they manage their yeast, specifically with it being a dual strain. How do they keep the right balance? Do they have a lab? Do they acid wash? How many repitches between washing? Do they use the same yeast for all the beers?

May be a little too in depth for a tour guide though [-o<