Hook Norton Brewery Ingredients List

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
jimp2003

Hook Norton Brewery Ingredients List

Post by jimp2003 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi guys.

It was my 40th birthday last week and my wife, who hates beer, organised for us to have a weekend staying in Witney and do the brewery tours at Hook Norton and Wychwood brewery while we were up there - How's that for true love? :D

Anyway, I took a snap of the list of ingredients for some of their beers that they had up on the wall. They made no secret of the list but would not discuss quants.

Thought I would post it here as it might help someone down the line..

The second phot has not fully uploaded but the hops for Haymaker reads: Fuggles, Goldings, Challenger.

The tour was great and Strangebrew did a great pictorial post HERE

Other pertinent info that I was able to glean was:

Up until 2005 they cooled the hot wort in the open coolship in the ventilated space at the top of the brewery. They now use a big old plate chiller.

They use fermenters that are totally open (you do not get to see these on the tour but you see a video of that stage).

The bottle conditioned beers do not contain the brewery strain of yeast. It is pasteurised before shipping to a bottling contractor who use a different strain.

They use two different coppers. An old one that loses 8% to evaporation during the boil. A new one that only loses 2% in the boil apparently. Unfortunately the guide was not a brewer himself and was not able to answer my questions about boiling off DMS precursors etc..

Hope the above is of use to someone out there. I would recommend the tour to anyone. The tasting session at the end was very generous with 1/3 pint samples of all cask ales except the Copper Ale which was bottled (in all 7 beers were tried).

The Wychwood tour was less impressive as the guide seemed less knowledgeable and made several incorrect statements. I finally had to pull him up when he said that Hobgoblin was brewed with 80% chocolate malt and insisted that you use 100% black malt to make stouts.. :roll:

The samples at Wychwood were also in stingy 7cl plastic thimbles and were all poured from bottles.. [-X

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Hook Norton Brewery Ingredients List

Post by seymour » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Happy belated birthday, sounds like a fun getaway.

oakwell

Post by oakwell » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:27 pm

cheers, very interesting but what's Enzymic Malt?

seymour

Post by seymour » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:30 pm

oakwell wrote:cheers, very interesting but what's Enzymic Malt?
Here you go: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55360
Or are you just effing with me? :)

oakwell

Post by oakwell » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:49 pm

thanks seymour. not come across this before. most informative.

jimp2003

Post by jimp2003 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:35 pm

seymour wrote:Happy belated birthday, sounds like a fun getaway.

Cheers Seymour - We had a good time. My wife now has a better appreciation for what I get up to out in the garage.

seymour

Post by seymour » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:21 am

jimp2003 wrote: ...Cheers Seymour - We had a good time. My wife now has a better appreciation for what I get up to out in the garage.
Oooh, good point. Bonus.

AdyG
Hollow Legs

Post by AdyG » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:20 pm

oakwell wrote:cheers, very interesting but what's Enzymic Malt?
Oh no! I've just done an Old Hooky clone and not put any of that in.... but my recipe had flaked maize instead. The hops list looks the same though.

Happy 40th Jimp2003, I'd be happy with a brewery tour for my birthday!

dcq1974
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by dcq1974 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:12 pm

Maybe CrookedEyeBoy will know :D
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

To find out more and buy online, go to
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... ption.html

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Tue May 14, 2013 2:04 pm

jimp2003 wrote:.......
The bottle conditioned beers do not contain the brewery strain of yeast. It is pasteurised before shipping to a bottling contractor who use a different strain.
Hope the above is of use to someone out there....
I've just read this post. Ingredients very useful thanks. =D>

I'm thinking of doing a Lion clone this weekend.
I went to their open day recently and they were pushing it as their new main brand.
Very tasty it was too.

I picked up a few bottles of bottle-conditioned beers and I've made a starter with them.
Unfortunately it sounds from your post that they've not got Hook Norton yeast. :(

I asked about the yeast to enquire if it was theirs but only info I got from one of their staff in the shop was that most bottles went to Marstons (I think) for bottling and bottle conditioned ones to St Austell's.

I'm now wondering if I have a St Austell's yeast starter :?

Maybe I should brew a 'Proper' Lion..