St Austell Proper Job competition winning recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Matt12398

Re: St Austell Proper Job competition winning recipe

Post by Matt12398 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm Belter's brother and live in Truro. I'd be up for a meet. Maybe we can come to Plymouth so I have an excuse to go to the hop shop.

shredder

Post by shredder » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Ah get on, that's ideal thanks Rich! I've searched around on t'interweb too but having no car and being a poor student meant all the places I found were out of my reach haha! Could easily manage Faraday Mill and 15 quid though! I'd be up for it but I'm only here til the summer and am super busy (can barely find the time to make beer!) so I'll probably have to give it a miss sorry guys. keep me posted on any plans though and I'll see what I'm doing!

weiht

Post by weiht » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:01 pm

I've used simpsons MO for a long time before switching to Muntons MO, and I can vouch that it isnt much darker than most british pale malt. The Muntons seems noticeably darker imo.

bigrichlock
Hollow Legs

Post by bigrichlock » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Well its not caramalisation due to boiling as they use an external steam vessel on the boiler so the wort only comes in contact with heat at about 130C, a lot cooler then electric elements so, it may well be the yeast, there has been a couple of good threads on here about how different yeasts have different affects on final beer colour.

Rich

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 am

Hi thought I would try his, bit of a use up recipe for me, Ive had to reduce the late chinook, as its all I,ve got left, or do you think I should keep the late chinook and increase the bittering with more williamette?
Impoper Job
Date:
Gyle Number:
Fermentable Colour lb: oz Grams Ratio
Crystal Malt 130 EBC 0 lbs. 4.8 oz 135 grams 4%
Lager Malt 2.5 EBC 3 lbs. 0.7 oz 1380 grams 40%
golden Promise 5 EBC 4 lbs. 4.2 oz 1930 grams 56%

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time lb: oz grams Ratio
Chinook Whole 12.5 % 60 mins 0 lbs. 0.5 oz 15 grams 7.7%
Chinook Whole 12.5 % 15 mins 0 lbs. 0.8 oz 24 grams 12.4%
Chinook Whole 12.5 % 0 mins 0 lbs. 0.4 oz 10 grams 5.2%
Willamette Whole 6.39999999999999 % 60 mins 0 lbs. 0.5 oz 15 grams 7.7%
Willamette Whole 6.39999999999999 % 15 mins 0 lbs. 1.4 oz 40 grams 20.6%
Willamette Whole 6.39999999999999 % 0 mins 0 lbs. 1.8 oz 50 grams 25.8%
Cascade Whole 7.89999999999999 % 0 mins 0 lbs. 1.4 oz 40 grams 20.6%

Final Volume: 22 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.008
Alcohol Content: 6.2% ABV
Total Liquor: 30.7 Litres
Mash Liquor: 8.6 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 56.2415422656645 EBU
Colour: 11 EBC
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

bigrichlock
Hollow Legs

Post by bigrichlock » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:54 pm

I possible i would try and get a little bit of Chinook in the final addition, but then it is an Improper Job ;-)

Rich

saracen

Post by saracen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:44 pm

Hi.
As a very infrequent visitor I thought this might help someone.
I use Simpsons quite regularly as they are just down the road. Their MO is quoted as 4 - 6 EBC, and I don't think that's darker than most.
If it helps, Paul at Goodlife Homebrew in Norwich will gladly send you some.

http://www.goodlifehomebrew.com/

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:52 pm

The improper job has turned out really nice, the late chinook is amazing, must get some more!
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

weiht

Post by weiht » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:04 pm

Guys, which is a good yeast substitute? I know most ppl say wlp002, but the profile is nothing like the tribute. St. A yeast attenuates higher, and the esters are different.

Maybe try fermenting the wlp002 at 15c at growth stage? I dont know abt it, cuz the wlp002 is know to love to be warm

Supercooper

Post by Supercooper » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:54 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I'm planning to brew this recipe over christmas. When I add the hopback hops for a 30 min steep, the IBU goes up to 83 on beersmith.
am I getting this wrong? Should the earlier hop additions be whirlpooled in boiler for 30 mins, then drained off through hopback and chiller? My Hoprocket can only take 75g of hops before it gets a bit clogged and reduces flow. So i would struggle to add all the hopback hops with this system.
Any pointers bigrichlock?

Cheers

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by fego » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Funny, I'm brewing a version of PJ tomorrow too and in the shadow of the brewery (I can pretty much see it from my Cornish garden).

My recipe will be:

5kg MO pale malt
250g Caramalt (no Munich here)

60 min boil.

15g Chinook - 60 mins
20g Willamette - 60 mins

25g Chinook - 15 mins
40g Willamette - 15 mins

Flame out:
30g Chinook - Steep 60 mins
50g Willamette - Steep 60 mins
30g Citra - Steep 45 mins (after wort has cooled a bit) - haven't got any Cascade

I'll be using my own house yeast (from a Manchester micro - no idea what it is but it's brilliant) fermenting at as steady a room temp I can manage by monitoring the thermometer and covering up/uncovering to control it (no proper temp control here).

I'll measure the OG at flame out and probably liquor back to achieve a predicted 5% abv.
Tea is for mugs...

Belter

Post by Belter » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:36 pm

It's not Marble in Manchester by any chance is it?

I can smell the brewery from my garden :)

fego

Post by fego » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:26 pm

Belter wrote:It's not Marble in Manchester by any chance is it?
Dunno. Was given it when in Manchester by Dave Porter but he wouldn't say where he sourced it from, probably because he sells it on by top cropping from his own brews.
Tea is for mugs...

Supercooper

Post by Supercooper » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:48 pm

fego wrote:Funny, I'm brewing a version of PJ tomorrow too and in the shadow of the brewery (I can pretty much see it from my Cornish garden).

My recipe will be:

5kg MO pale malt
250g Caramalt (no Munich here)

60 min boil.

15g Chinook - 60 mins
20g Willamette - 60 mins

25g Chinook - 15 mins
40g Willamette - 15 mins

Flame out:
30g Chinook - Steep 60 mins
50g Willamette - Steep 60 mins
30g Citra - Steep 45 mins (after wort has cooled a bit) - haven't got any Cascade

I'll be using my own house yeast (from a Manchester micro - no idea what it is but it's brilliant) fermenting at as steady a room temp I can manage by monitoring the thermometer and covering up/uncovering to control it (no proper temp control here).

I'll measure the OG at flame out and probably liquor back to achieve a predicted 5% abv.
How did yours turn out Fego?
I was well pleased with mine. So much so that I brewed it again last week.
I steeped for 30 mins at 80 degrees, then ran off through the hop back with the other half of the flameout hops.
I reckon I mashed a bit high on the first brew, so dropped it down to 64 this time round. Just had a first sample, tastes spot on. This is definitely a cracking recipe. :D

fego

Post by fego » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:03 pm

As mad as this sounds, I don't know yet...

You see, I brewed it when I was in Cornwall and kegged and bottled it the day before I came back to Kent early January and I haven't been to Cornwall again since. I did bring one bottle back with me but impatience meant I drunk it far too green so it wasn't a reliable test. If I was guessing how it might condition out, I'd say I overdid the Citra because it dominated the flavour really but let's see what it's like when I get to taste the fully conditioned version when I'm next there.

I did two batches from the same wort in the end, one using a fruity yeast and the other using St. Austells recovered from PJ bottles. I remember dropping a screwdriver into the PJ yeast's batch when I bottled it so that is probably shagged but I shall report back when I've tried them both anyway. Wont be for a few weeks though.
Tea is for mugs...