St Austell Proper Job competition winning recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Supercooper

Re: St Austell Proper Job competition winning recipe

Post by Supercooper » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:03 pm

fego wrote: I remember dropping a screwdriver into the PJ yeast's batch when I bottled it so that is probably shagged .
:shock:

Blimey. That could be a new cocktail you've invented there!

Bad luck. Next time you're down here, there are some homebrew evenings in Truro that are being out on by a local brewery. They are good fun and I was surprised how many people turned up!

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by fego » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks. I shall look forward to that.
Tea is for mugs...

Supercooper

Post by Supercooper » Mon May 12, 2014 6:26 pm

How did your screwdriver cocktail turn out?

Clobber

Post by Clobber » Thu May 22, 2014 11:04 am

I've just brewed this (sans screwdriver) and it tastes fantastic straight out of the fermenter...

My best brew to date I reckon.... So thank you for sharing!

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by fego » Thu May 22, 2014 11:06 pm

Supercooper wrote:How did your screwdriver cocktail turn out?

Well, ok'ish but I wish i hadn't used so much Citra or had steeped it later or cooler. I'm finding my post boil steeps are adding too much bitterness in my beers lately so perhaps I'm not letting the temp drop enough first to take it out of the extraction range. On this I was only after aroma really.

Despite the long conditioning time, the Citra overpowers everything. I did a side by side with the real thing and they were similar but the real thing is just far superior tbh. More of everything. It's a nice enough beer but way too bitter for my liking although my family and neighbours were big fans. The most I could do was two pints on the trot.

The bottled version was better but still not brilliant and surprisingly the one with the screwdriver dropped in it was best of all. Nothing to do with the screwdriver, more to do with the St. Austell yeast probably.

I shall try again and again, but with Munich instead of cara and cascade instead of Citra ( or certainly less citra).

Here's a photo with the PJ attempt on the right. The one on the left was one of my previous brews of a similar style.

Tea is for mugs...

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:45 pm

The trouble is it's easy to be critical of your own beer.

Have you tried cloning Big Job? I don't think it can be beaten. Beats any of the hoppy rubbish from Brew Dog and other wannabes.

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Fri May 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Matt12398 wrote:The trouble is it's easy to be critical of your own beer.

Have you tried cloning Big Job? I don't think it can be beaten. Beats any of the hoppy rubbish from Brew Dog and other wannabes.
If you guys work out a good clone of Big Job I'd pay you for the recipe :lol: love that stuff
Cheers and gone,

Mozza