Looking for two nice summer recipes

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Cazamodo

Looking for two nice summer recipes

Post by Cazamodo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:28 pm

I may be getting hopeful, but the sun may come out soon, and I would like to have some beer ready for it!
I'm looking for one recipe to bottle, to take out when it's nice, and another to keg in a corny for when I have the annual BBQ at mine.

Now I'd like to try a nice paleish ale, which is nice and fruity. Some citra/chinook hops maybe, but Ive never really made one of these before. I dont want it to be a complete hop bomb, but just have a nice freshness to it.

The second I want to try is a kind of witbeer, thats nice and orangy/grapefruity, and lovely and smooth.

Not sure which I would like to bottle or keg, but anyone have any ideas or recipes that seem to fit these?

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Looking for two nice summer recipes

Post by seymour » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:59 pm

I'm going to take the liberty of reposting two from other Jim's members, which I'm strongly considering for the same summer purposes.

T1mjv's Lime Witbier. Doesn't this sound heavenly?!
T1mjv wrote:I got the idea from this blog.
http://www.fermentarium.com/homebrewing ... -wit-beer/
But I altered things a little following is the recipe I did last and it was one of the best Ive made so far served ice cold it was fantastic .

lengh 40 lts

Wheat malt 4660 gms
Lager malt 1990gms
Vienna malt 880 gms (no reason for this other than it needed using up)
Golden naked oats 500 gms. Boiled on the stove then added to the mash .(any oats will do I had these in stock)

90 minute mash at 68*c I like a bit of body in my beers.

Do a mash out and keep the temp up as with all the wheat/oats it is a sticky mash. You may like to add rice hulls !
You probably know all this about wheatbeers !!

Cascade 51gms for 90 min boil
then for the last 15 mins of the boil:
1 teaspoon of crushed corriander seeds and
1 tablespoon of wheat flour to keep a haze in the beer and
zest of three limes

Aurura and Santiam a handful each, steep after temp down to 80*c (bobek is also good adds citrus)

Fermented with the afore-mentioned BrewLab witbeer yeast.
super_simian's House Beer. Sounds like it could stand-in as all our house's beer! :)
super_simian wrote:Pale and hoppy, no crystal. 1.042 OG. 64% Pale malt, 24% Vienna, 8% Wheat or Rye malt, 4% unmalted Wheat, Rye or Barley. 30 IBU bittering, 1g per litre flame out, 2g per litre dry hop. Various yeasts. Mixing it up.

Best so far? Wheat malt, unmalted Rye, Cluster bittering, homegrown Chinook for aroma and dry hop, Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale yeast. So damn good. Peppery and hoppy and medium dry.
A quick note about super_simian's yeast suggestion, because he hit upon a really interesting one:
believed to be from the revered Hales brewery in Seattle, Washington, USA, but originally derived from Gales' historic English ale strain, perhaps still in use at Marble Brewery in Manchester. As far as I know, there is no White Labs equivalent. Maybe, just maybe salvageable from some well-kept bottles of Gales Prize Old Ale.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:56 pm

I brewed this awhile ago and it fits your Summer beer description to a Tee.

Recipe: Like A Hurricane

Style: American Amber Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 39.20 l
Post Boil Volume: 31.20 l
Batch Size (fermentor): 27.00 l
Bottling/Kegging Volume: 26.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 12.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.000 kg Maris Otter (Crisp) (7.9 EBC) 87.9 %
0.300 kg Torrified Wheat (3.0 EBC) 6.6 %
0.250 kg Amber Malt (100.0 EBC) 5.5 %
10.00 g Summit [17.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 17.1 IBUs
0.50 tsp Protafloc (Boil 15.0 mins)
20.00 g Citra [13.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min 9.1 IBUs
20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 2.0 IBUs
20.00 g Citra [13.70 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)
25.00 g Citra [13.70 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 4.550 kg

----------------------------
Name Description Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 13.87 l of water at 74.7 C 65.6 C 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 31.89 l water at 75.6 C

You could substitute the Cascade for Chinook but just be careful of how much you use as the difference in AA% is significant. Careful of the volumes as I boil with 2 elements going full bore for 60 minutes, hence the 8 litre loss :shock:

Looking at my notes it seems I tried something that isn't in the recipe. I removed the first lot of dry hops from the fermentor after 2 days with another 25g and I think it was this that gave it such an aromatic punch.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:16 pm

I think a great summer beer is an American/British wheat beer which is hop bursted but not necessarily all that bitter. I also think that hops which have a citrus flavor will help out in the thirst quenching department. I personally like the low cohumolone hops, Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra just to rattle off three examples. I have some hops coming in this week (hopefully) and I am going to screw around with a new one Mosic, it is supposed to be low chohumolone with a lot of tropical fruit flavors. I'll probably make an American IPA and use that along with some Amarillo and Simcoe to late and dry hop with and I'll report back.
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:54 am

Thanks guys, that Lime Wit looks great. As its says its nice served very cold, I may bottle that so I can keep them nice and cold.

louiscowdroy

Post by louiscowdroy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:27 pm

English Bitter

Date: 09 Apr 13

Gyle Number:012457/002

Fermentable Colour lb: oz Grams Ratio
Pale Malt 5 EBC 3 lbs. 12.9 oz 1730 grams 62.2%
Oat Malt 3.5 EBC 0 lbs. 8.8 oz 250 grams 9%
Caragold 12 EBC 0 lbs. 8.8 oz 250 grams 9%
Crystal Malt 120 EBC 0 lbs. 8.8 oz 250 grams 9%
Caraaroma 400 EBC 0 lbs. 1.8 oz 50 grams 1.8%
Wheat Malt 3.5 EBC 0 lbs. 8.8 oz 250 grams 9%

Hop Variety Type Alpha Time lb: oz grams Ratio
Fuggle Whole 6.1 % 75 mins 0 lbs. 0.7 oz 20 grams 14.3%
Fuggle Whole 6.1 % 10 mins 0 lbs. 0.7 oz 20 grams 14.3%
Progress Whole 7.8 % 10 mins 0 lbs. 1.1 oz 30 grams 21.4%
Progress Whole 7.8 % 0 mins 0 lbs. 2.5 oz 70 grams 50%

Final Volume: 12 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.014
Alcohol Content: 5.1% ABV
Total Liquor: 19 Litres
Mash Liquor: 7 Litres
Mash Efficiency: 78 %
Bitterness: 48.1622147871975 EBU
Colour: 41 EBC

Yeast: WYeast 1098 British Ale.

Its still in Primary.......smells amazing !!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:50 pm

That EBU measurement for bitterness looks a little imprecise Louis. I usually make mine to 15 decimal places :wink:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

seymour

Post by seymour » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Louis, my man! Good to hear from you again, where you been?!

louiscowdroy

Post by louiscowdroy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:55 pm

seymour wrote:Louis, my man! Good to hear from you again, where you been?!

Sorry buddy just working and stuff, concentrating on brewing this week, trying out tomorrow an Belgian Dubbel....got my Special B in today and my Trappist Yeast Starter is almost perfectly fallen out in time for tomorrow.....Cant wait!!

louiscowdroy

Post by louiscowdroy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:00 pm

orlando wrote:That EBU measurement for bitterness looks a little imprecise Louis. I usually make mine to 15 decimal places :wink:
Hahaha, I know I must stop trying to be so precise.....lol

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Gonna brew a WIT this weekend. Couldnt find any WLP400 or 410 in stock, so got some Wyeast 3644. Never used it before but hopefully will be ok.

Also trying to decide whetehr to stick with the lime, maybe add a tad of lemon. Or go for an orange wit, and go down the blood orange/ grapefruit route.

Maybe I'll do both, and just add fruit in the fermentor. Hmmm

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:15 pm

Cazamodo wrote:...so got some Wyeast 3644. Never used it before but hopefully will be ok...
Do you mean Wyeast 3944 "Belgian Witbier"? I'm not trying to draw attention to a typo, I'm just curious if there's a new Wyeast strain I don't know about.

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:19 pm

seymour wrote:
Cazamodo wrote:...so got some Wyeast 3644. Never used it before but hopefully will be ok...
Do you mean Wyeast 3944 "Belgian Witbier"? I'm not trying to draw attention to a typo, I'm just curious if there's a new Wyeast strain I don't know about.

You're quite right. I never use wyeast and was typing that from memory. oops! I do indeed mean the 3944

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:23 pm

Cazamodo wrote: ...I do indeed mean the 3944
That's the delicious Hoegaarden/Celis strain, works really nicely with wheat and oats. Enjoy!

louiscowdroy

Post by louiscowdroy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:32 pm

seymour wrote:I'm going to take the liberty of reposting two from other Jim's members, which I'm strongly considering for the same summer purposes.

T1mjv's Lime Witbier. Doesn't this sound heavenly?!
T1mjv wrote:I got the idea from this blog.
http://www.fermentarium.com/homebrewing ... -wit-beer/
But I altered things a little following is the recipe I did last and it was one of the best Ive made so far served ice cold it was fantastic .

lengh 40 lts

Wheat malt 4660 gms
Lager malt 1990gms
Vienna malt 880 gms (no reason for this other than it needed using up)
Golden naked oats 500 gms. Boiled on the stove then added to the mash .(any oats will do I had these in stock)

90 minute mash at 68*c I like a bit of body in my beers.

Do a mash out and keep the temp up as with all the wheat/oats it is a sticky mash. You may like to add rice hulls !
You probably know all this about wheatbeers !!

Cascade 51gms for 90 min boil
then for the last 15 mins of the boil:
1 teaspoon of crushed corriander seeds and
1 tablespoon of wheat flour to keep a haze in the beer and
zest of three limes

Aurura and Santiam a handful each, steep after temp down to 80*c (bobek is also good adds citrus)

Fermented with the afore-mentioned BrewLab witbeer yeast.
super_simian's House Beer. Sounds like it could stand-in as all our house's beer! :)
super_simian wrote:Pale and hoppy, no crystal. 1.042 OG. 64% Pale malt, 24% Vienna, 8% Wheat or Rye malt, 4% unmalted Wheat, Rye or Barley. 30 IBU bittering, 1g per litre flame out, 2g per litre dry hop. Various yeasts. Mixing it up.

Best so far? Wheat malt, unmalted Rye, Cluster bittering, homegrown Chinook for aroma and dry hop, Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale yeast. So damn good. Peppery and hoppy and medium dry.
A quick note about super_simian's yeast suggestion, because he hit upon a really interesting one:
believed to be from the revered Hales brewery in Seattle, Washington, USA, but originally derived from Gales' historic English ale strain, perhaps still in use at Marble Brewery in Manchester. As far as I know, there is no White Labs equivalent. Maybe, just maybe salvageable from some well-kept bottles of Gales Prize Old Ale.
Seymour,

Ive heard a lot about rice hulls, what are they used for and where can you buy them please buddy??