Founders All Day IPA?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
ArmChair
Under the Table

Founders All Day IPA?

Post by ArmChair » Wed May 29, 2013 7:42 pm

would anyone be king enough to provide me with a clone of Founders All Day IPA?

I bought a bottle the other day from my local bottle shop and I thought it was pretty dam good :mrgreen:
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Founders All Day IPA?

Post by seymour » Thu May 30, 2013 3:56 am

Did you see the website? No recipe clues, really, but check out the great posters: http://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/all-day-ipa/

Here is the email from the brewer:

“Thanks for taking the time to write. We are very committed to making great beer and it always great to hear that people enjoy it. Unfortunately, we cannot share recipe or process details on our beers, but we do wish you all the best on your quest to recreate our All Day IPA. As they say, “The Journey is the Reward”.”

I can say (I think) that we use corn, oats, wheat and barley to 4.7% abv, and hop with crystal, simcoe and amarillo to 42 ibus. I am sure you understand and hope you still enjoy our beers. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Alec"

Supposedly, a bartender at Founder's tap room said they use the Zythos hops blend in All Day IPA.

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Thu May 30, 2013 11:07 am

THanks alot Seymour
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu May 30, 2013 4:55 pm

This is my best-guess clone recipe, based on an email from the head brewer, a statement by their tap room bartender, and specifics which I've read about Founder's other wildly popular Centennial IPA. That said, it still involves a lot of guesswork. I'm working under the assumption it's hopped with Zythos only, which is a Hop Union proprietary blend containing Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo, among others, plus as-yet unreleased proprietary cultivars. This would satisfy the vague statements from the brewer, and Zythos descriptions certainly match the flavours and aromas of All Day IPA. Most homebrewers who have attempted to clone this beer refuse to believe Founders would use only Zythos, and make repeated attempts using various combinations of Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo, Centennial, Cascade, etc, and so far no one has been 100% successful. It doesn't seem far-fetched to me at all, considering Zythos is an IPA blend which works well in all stages, not to mention Founder's other top-seller Centennial IPA uses only Centennial hops at 60 minutes, 20 minutes, 5 minutes and dry-hopped. Many homebrewers also refuse to believe good beer can be made with adjunct unmalted grains, but I'm not even going to dignify that silly snootiness. I haven't personally brewed this recipe yet, but it seems spot on to me. Best of luck!

SEYMOUR – FOUNDERS ALL DAY SESSION IPA CLONE
all-grain recipe
6 US Gallons = 5 Imperial Gallons = 22.7 Liters

GRAINBILL:
82% = 8.28 lb = 3.76 kg, Two-Row Pale Malt
6% = .61 lb = 277 g, Caramel 40L Malt
4% = .4 lb = 181 g, Torrified Wheat
4% = .4 lb = 181 g, Oats (Flaked, Instant, Porridge, Steel-Cut, Scotch, Pinhead, etc, from your kitchen)
4% = .4 lb = 181 g, Flaked Maize/Organic Corn Grits (avoid supermarket brands with added iron, chemical preservatives, etc)

MASH everything together at 152°F/66.7°C for 90 minutes, allowing a little extra time for unmalted grains to convert.

SPARGE to collect 7.5 US gal/6.25 Imperial gal/28.4 L pre-boil.

BOIL 60 minutes

HOPS:
.55 oz = 16 g, Zythos blend, 11.9% AA, 60 minutes
.55 oz = 16 g, Zythos blend, 11.9% AA, 20 minutes
1 oz = 28 g, Zythos blend, 11.9% AA, 5 minutes, after boil allow to steep awhile before chilling
2 oz = 57 g, Zythos blend, 11.9% AA, dry hops added to secondary fermentor one week before bottling/kegging

OPTIONAL: Pinch of gypsum in boil kettle to make the hops pop. Irish moss near end of boil for clarity.

YEAST: Chico/US-05/Sierra Nevada/American Ale, ferment at 64°F/17.8°C, best practice involves transferring to a secondary fermentor after primary fermentation is complete, allow plenty of time to attenuate and clear.

STATS assuming 76% mash efficiency and 78% yeast attenuation:
OG: 1047
ABV: 4.7%
IBU: 42
COLOUR: light reddish amber 7° SRM/14° EBC

ArmChair
Under the Table

Post by ArmChair » Thu May 30, 2013 5:36 pm

Thanks guys,

Seymour I can't get zythos blend, I will hold off doing your brew for the time been.
Thanks for your input as always
FV1 AG#95 Farwell Freddy
FV2
FV3
FV4
Litres Brewed in :
2013 - 655
2014 - 719
2015 - 726
2016 - 74
Started BIAB 11/02/2013

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu May 30, 2013 5:39 pm

djseaton wrote:...Seymour I can't get zythos blend...
Probably because Founders made sure you have to buy it in the form of All Day IPA. :)
djseaton wrote:...I will hold off doing your brew for the time been.
Thanks for your input as always
No problem. The fun thing about threads like this one, is how it inspires us to implement creative new ideas in our own recipes. You could obvious produce a similarly tasty session IPA, you certainly won't go wrong, creating your own blend of Crystal, Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, Columbus, Sorachi Ace, Centennial, etc... Creating your own masterpiece is much cooler than "cloning" anyway.

Supercooper

Post by Supercooper » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:41 am

Yay. I got me some zythos pellets here in the uk. I've been drinking lots of all day ipa lately, and I kinda like the grapefruit, grassy, tinned mandarin orange flavour and aroma notes. It's an interesting recipe, but the last time I used pellets, my boiler filter got very clogged up and flow reduced to a trickle.
I am going to make a hop spider based on arbor fabrications design from the US. 300 micron mesh basket hung inside my brew kettle. This will ( I hope) keep the green porridge away from my pump filter.
Once that puppy has been tested, I'm planning on brewing this.
Is there any point trying to harvest the Founders yeast from the bottle? Didn't look bottle conditioned to me?

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:37 am

Supercooper wrote: Is there any point trying to harvest the Founders yeast from the bottle? Didn't look bottle conditioned to me?
I am fairly certain that you would be just fine using a sachet of US-05, I don't believe that they use anything proprietary.

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Supercooper

Post by Supercooper » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Brewed this for a second time today. The first one got split into two batches, one dry hopped for 3 days, the other for 7. ~Unanimous result from the tasters, 3 days was best. So will dry hop this batch with different hop mix in one fermenter, just to see how it differs.
I have to say, this is my favourite beer ive brewed to date, and that must be over 100.
Seymour, I congratulate you sir

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:35 pm

Would it do any harm if I missed out the torrified wheat and maize? I've got everything else but that.

Barley Water
Under the Table

Post by Barley Water » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:46 pm

I don't know if that recipe will produce a clone or not but then, who cares as long as it tastes good. I took the recipe for a Dogfish Head 60 and dumbed it down to 1.048 O.G. and it worked out pretty well, I'll likely make it again this summer. I think it makes alot of sense to use oats in a beer like this because it will jack up the mouthfeel tricking the drinker into thinking it's a bigger beer than it really is. I was also going to try one of those "baby IPA's" myself and maybe I'll use the grist you presented then use the Dogfish Head hopping schedule which I really like. I also just finished a regular octane IPA which I double dry hopped, I will be very interested to see how that turns out. :D
Drinking:Saison (in bottles), Belgian Dubbel (in bottles), Oud Bruin (in bottles), Olde Ale (in bottles),
Abbey Triple (in bottles), Munich Helles, Best Bitter (TT Landlord clone), English IPA
Conditioning: Traditional bock bier, CAP
Fermenting: Munich Dunkel
Next up: Bitter (London Pride like), ESB
So many beers to make, so little time (and cold storage space)

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:27 pm

Think I'll sack it off then and just use oats. Do I just throw the oats in to the mash raw? Been reading about cooking them first and different things

Supercooper

Post by Supercooper » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:51 pm

Rolled oats are simply added to the mash.

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:00 pm

Cool, cheers. Need to bottle my coopers cerveza then get cracking on this