Founders All Day IPA?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Supercooper

Re: Founders All Day IPA?

Post by Supercooper » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:33 pm

I've brewed both recipes. The zythos version is the closest. But it's a hard hop to get hold of.

Hoptimus Fine

Post by Hoptimus Fine » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:23 pm

Thanks Supercooper, zythos version it is... luckily I have some in my freeezer. :-)

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Just saw this topic after some searching and surprised how recent it is! Yay for that. After several samplings of this from Birmingham to Manchester to London, I too am on a quest to brew an All Day IPA clone, and after asking Dean at eBid he's got some Zythos pellets in with free delivery. I hope you won't mind me posting the link, always had good service.

http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/zythos-us-h ... 518219.htm

Is 45g dry hop and 28g aroma enough for this beer? I know it's highly aromatic but my adjusted values leave me with that. I could always bitter with some leftover Pacific Jade if more late hops are better (which they probably are in this beer.) Those will also adjust if I can find the actual AA%. Hopunion list 10.9%, this topic lists 11.9%, Northern Brewer 10%-12%...maybe it's better to sub a bittering hop for the most part, particularly at such delicate values.

Good luck to all - I'll brew mine in a few weeks.

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Got round to brewing this today.

So far so good!

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:46 am

seymour wrote:
SEYMOUR – FOUNDERS ALL DAY SESSION IPA CLONE
all-grain recipe
6 US Gallons = 5 Imperial Gallons = 22.7 Liters

GRAINBILL:
82% = 8.28 lb = 3.76 kg, Two-Row Pale Malt
6% = .61 lb = 277 g, Caramel 40L Malt
4% = .4 lb = 181 g, Torrified Wheat
4% = .4 lb = 181 g, Oats (Flaked, Instant, Porridge, Steel-Cut, Scotch, Pinhead, etc, from your kitchen)
4% = .4 lb = 181 g, Flaked Maize/Organic Corn Grits (avoid supermarket brands with added iron, chemical preservatives, etc)

MASH everything together at 152°F/66.7°C for 90 minutes, allowing a little extra time for unmalted grains to convert.

SPARGE to collect 7.5 US gal/6.25 Imperial gal/28.4 L pre-boil.

BOIL 60 minutes

HOPS:
.55 oz = 16 g, Zythos blend, 11.9% AA, 60 minutes
.55 oz = 16 g, Zythos blend, 11.9% AA, 20 minutes
1 oz = 28 g, Zythos blend, 11.9% AA, 5 minutes, after boil allow to steep awhile before chilling
2 oz = 57 g, Zythos blend, 11.9% AA, dry hops added to secondary fermentor one week before bottling/kegging

OPTIONAL: Pinch of gypsum in boil kettle to make the hops pop. Irish moss near end of boil for clarity.

YEAST: Chico/US-05/Sierra Nevada/American Ale, ferment at 64°F/17.8°C, best practice involves transferring to a secondary fermentor after primary fermentation is complete, allow plenty of time to attenuate and clear.

STATS assuming 76% mash efficiency and 78% yeast attenuation:
OG: 1047
ABV: 4.7%
IBU: 42
COLOUR: light reddish amber 7° SRM/14° EBC
I plan on doing this for my very first brew. I have a recirculating BIAB set up with a 70L pot. I'll go for the standard 23L into the fermentor. I picked up 200g of Zythos hop pellets but I haven't got any other ingredients in yet.

As I dont know what the effeciency will turn out to be would it be advisable to put some more malt in the grain bill?

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:31 pm

That wouldn't hurt UpTheToon - you can always add more water if your OG comes out too high, the other option is to have some DME on hand to increase your OG after the boil.

Here was my hop bill for 21L (bittered with galaxy to try and maximize zythos aroma.)

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g Galaxy Pellet (15.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
20.0 g Zythos Pellet (8.7% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
30.0 g Zythos Pellet (8.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
50.0 g Zythos Pellet (11.9% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (2.2 g/L)

It's in bottles and it's early but I reckon it needs more dry hops as it's more like SNPA than All Day IPA at the moment.

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:18 am

Thanks Rob. I think I'll go upto 4.5KG of pale malt and I do have 200g of Zythos on hand...

At the minute I'm using 150g to get to 42 IBU's

25g 60mins
25g 20mins
50g 5mins
60g dryhop

Might go with 60g at 5min and a 90g dryhop.

RobWalker

Post by RobWalker » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:37 am

Sweet. I will say my 0 min addition was subject to slow cooling this time, but the bitterness is spot on.

OilyGreasyPig

Post by OilyGreasyPig » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:29 am

How did this turn out in the end?

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:59 am

OilyGreasyPig wrote:How did this turn out in the end?
Mine ended up down the drain :?

Not the recipes fault though, all mine. (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=68452)

kebabman
Piss Artist

Post by kebabman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:31 pm

I had a bottle of Founders All Day IPA last night and wasn't impressed at all, good aroma but so thin and watery tasting. Maybe it doesn't travel well, the BB date was 12/06/15, so not sure if that is relatively fresh. You could say that it is very drinkable, well yes because you keep having sips in the hope that you will find some body to it!
Lots of people seem to like it, so it must be my taste buds at fault but a relatively low strength PA from The Kernel or a can of Gamma Ray by Beavertown beats this stuff hollow, IMHO.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:00 pm

I agree kebab. I was disappointed too. The Sixpoint Bengali Tiger from Wetherspoons is tons better. And so is Goose Island IPA. I wouldn't buy another All Day IPA. Just The Once IPA.

The home brew recipe looks good though.
Last edited by Clibit on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OilyGreasyPig

Post by OilyGreasyPig » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:05 pm

Upthetoon, why did yours end up down the drain? What went wrong?

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:18 pm

OilyGreasyPig wrote:Upthetoon, why did yours end up down the drain? What went wrong?
It was my first AG brew and I didn't quite know what I was doing :roll:

I was miles off target and once fermented it was really bitter with a bad aftertaste. There are more details in the thread I linked too.

Happily my second was more of a success and I'm going for AG3 on Sunday. Might revisit this recipe further down the line.

OilyGreasyPig

Post by OilyGreasyPig » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:19 pm

I know that pain, I'm new to this myself. I'm brewing on Sunday too. What did you forget about your brewing water? Good luck for your brew.