Seymour Citra Gold

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
raiderman

Re: Seymour Citra Gold

Post by raiderman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:52 pm

I can do that. I've just lifted the lid on the fv. Nearly took my head off. Awesome. I pitched this morning have just got back after seeing Acid Mothers Temple and I have hissing in my ears and I stick my nose into the bucket and wham! What a smell! From recollection Seymour was pretty cautious with the citra - clearly not a Texan! On the other hand I've used 200g so far. The question is do I just add more orange to compensate or do the sensible thing and brew his recipe next weekend using less citra?

Uncle Joshua

Post by Uncle Joshua » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:43 pm

soupdragon wrote:It's only the orange zest though, non of the white stuff :)

Cheers Tom
I use the whole skin.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:59 pm

Uncle Joshua wrote:I use the whole skin.
What made me think it should just be the zest?
Must have read something somewhere and put 2 and 2 together and got 5, as usual :(

Cheers Tom

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:11 am

soupdragon wrote:
Uncle Joshua wrote:I use the whole skin.
What made me think it should just be the zest?
Zest contains all of the aromatics, whilst the white pith contains a lot of bitter compounds. Whether this affects the beer or not, I don't know; I've only ever used zest.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:49 am

I can't think the pith contains anything beneficial so I plan on leaving it out. When I cook with zest I either grate or use one of thoes clever potato peelers rthat just takes the surface skin off

Uncle Joshua

Post by Uncle Joshua » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:11 pm

I think you're bound to get more zest by using the whole lot.

I'm wondering if another yeast would work well with this?

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:32 pm

In cooking there are recipes that call for the zest and specify not to use the pith, because pith is very bitter, completely different from the zest, and will affect the outcome in a different way.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:11 pm

raiderman wrote:...From recollection Seymour was pretty cautious with the citra - clearly not a Texan! On the other hand I've used 200g so far. The question is do I just add more orange to compensate or do the sensible thing and brew his recipe next weekend using less citra?
Funny you should say that, I am a native-born Texan. Houston, actually, and my family moved all around Texas but eventually left when I was still fairly young. So I don't know if Barley Water would still count my citizenship. :)

I'm not always so conservative about hops, I've made several 100+ IBU Imperial IPAs, some cool recipes with average bitterness but massive hoppy aromas, and a barleywine with so much dry hopping it never cleared and it tasted like brocolli stew (ew!)

This Citra Gold recipe has taken on a life of its own, at least 10-12 members have brewed it and loved it, but as some of you may recall it started as a user-upper suggestion for Uncle Joshua who only owned 37g of Citra. Got lots more Citra? By all means, "smoke 'em if you got 'em!" I'd sure love to taste your version, raiderman.

With regards to using orange: zest only is best practice, but I haven't always specifically said so. I've read of members using oranges every which way with this recipe, though: zest, fresh peel, dried peel, even whole pierced oranges, seeds and all, which I would never recommend but apparently the bitterness and haze works fine along with the oats and Citra hops. It's such a simple golden ale recipe, it's hard to go wrong.

Uncle Joshua

Post by Uncle Joshua » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:29 pm

Have you got an opinion on a switch of yeast Seymour?

Uncle Joshua

Post by Uncle Joshua » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:51 am

My latest batch of Citra Gold has 10 minutes of the boil to go.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:41 pm

seymour wrote: Funny you should say that, I am a native-born Texan. Houston, actually, and my family moved all around Texas but eventually left when I was still fairly young.

Got lots more Citra? By all means, "smoke 'em if you got 'em!" I'd sure love to taste your version, raiderman.

With regards to using orange: zest only is best practice, but I haven't always specifically said so. I've read of members using oranges every which way with this recipe, though: zest, fresh peel, dried peel, even whole pierced oranges, seeds and all, which I would never recommend but apparently the bitterness and haze works fine along with the oats and Citra hops. It's such a simple golden ale recipe, it's hard to go wrong.
I can live with you being Texan My favourite author is Texan- Kinky Freidman. Not that he has a lot to say about beer or oranges for that matter. I'm going to take a trawl through Radical Brewing and Extreme Brewing to see what they say about fruit but I'm broadly going to follow your recipe. I used malted oats previously so porridge oats will be interesting and I'd be worried about too much citra obliterating the orange. Plus I'll use T58 and once again too much citra might overpower the effects. I used 200g of citra in last weeks brew so a more subtle citra will be a nice change. Future brews may be more excessive
I'm looking forward to this as a Christmas ale

Cheers

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Randy Mosher reckons Seville oranges are best or half and half normal orange and grapefruit I kinda like that.

raiderman

Post by raiderman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:18 pm

Just end kegged and so far so good. In fact it tastes excellent lets see now how it beds down and conditions but I have high hopes. In deference to Seymour I set out to follow the recpie faithfully just substituting willammete for magnum as that's what I had and bring the dry hopping forward to post boil to give flexibility to hop the cornie if necessary and you can't post boil citra with less than 50g so I didn't. And I forgot the peel at the end of the boil so rather thank half a grapefruit and half and orange zest I went whole at 80c and let the peel soak with the hops. Other than that and upping the oats to 200g it's a faithful copy ogf the original. The peel comes through nicely and there's a slightly vanilla aftertaste which is nice. Oh I used T58 as that seemed more fun I'm looking forward to drinking this one at Christmas. I'm also wondering about introducing some wheat to the next one.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm rather looking forward to my 1st pint of mine. This Thursday once we get home from holiday I'll crack the keg :-)
After two weeks of Mythos and Amstel I'll be ready for some home grown stuff :-)

Cheers Tom

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:04 pm

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh that's better :beer:

Cheers Tom