Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
deere322
Sober

Re: Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter Clone Recipe

Post by deere322 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:09 pm

I ended up brewing a 10 gallon batch on Saturday with an OG of 1.046.
Same ingredients as listed on page 3 from Seymour's recipe.

I split the batch into 2 fermenters, one has 1335 Adnams yeast and the other has a blended yeast mixture of 1099 Whitbread B and 1469 West Yorkshire that I've been using since January of this year.
Should be interesting.
I do understand that it won't be Harvey's but I don't have access to the Sussex yeast mentioned in this thread.
Regardless the smell of the fermentation is wonderful.

Derpy

Post by Derpy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:25 am

Thanks to this thread, I ordered some Sussex 1 from Brewlab on November 1st and it just arrived. I don't think temperatures were too high between the UK and Texas as it was shipped, so I expect to be able to grow a zillion cells and try this yeast in a few bitters. Thanks for letting me know about Brewlab!

deere322
Sober

Post by deere322 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm

[quote=Derpy post_id=825736 time=1510615507 user_id=15367]
Thanks to this thread, I ordered some Sussex 1 from Brewlab on November 1st and it just arrived. I don't think temperatures were too high between the UK and Texas as it was shipped, so I expect to be able to grow a zillion cells and try this yeast in a few bitters. Thanks for letting me know about Brewlab!
[/quote]

How much did it cost you for this yeast? shipping included..
This has me curious to give it a go.

Derpy

Post by Derpy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:18 pm

[quote=deere322 post_id=825758 time=1510664039 user_id=17007]
How much did it cost you for this yeast? shipping included..
This has me curious to give it a go.
[/quote]
It looks like my credit card was charged a total of $21.39. I think it was roughly $8 for the yeast and $13 for shipping.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:10 pm

It's probably worth grabbing a few slants at the same time if they are going across the pond.

anamishtorshaggi

Post by anamishtorshaggi » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:06 pm

I started with the Seymour recipe and added 150g muscavado sugar and a small amount of chocolate malt - 30g. I made a yeast starter from the dregs of two bottles of Harveys Imperial Double Stout. I purchased these from The Royal Oak in London which is a Harveys owned pub in London - a proper pub. The taste is very Harveys-esque. The key to a beer's flavour is the yeast and I think the yeast in these bottles is the same or very close as that used by the brewery for Harveys best bitter. I made the beer slightly too weak at 3.6% and plan to get to 4% next time. The beer flavour is a bit burnt compared to actual Harveys - may be I shouldnt have added the chocolate malt or maybe I should use a lighter crystal malt and use some colouring as suggested elsewhere. Anyway it is a good beer with this yeast. Good luck everyone it is a worthy project.

I measured the attenuation of the Harveys yeast to be around 66% (OG 1040, FG 1013/1014). Just about to brew again and estimate I need to target an OG of 1.046 so will use less water in mash/sparge.

Previously I have used WLP002. However the yeast from the Harveys IDS is much better.
Last edited by anamishtorshaggi on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Not much new info but a nice article by Pete Brown this week:

https://www.petebrown.net/2017/11/20/tr ... -cathedral
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Derpy

Post by Derpy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:17 pm

I'm almost finished with my first brew based upon the recipes presented here. It smells pretty good at this stage.

I just pitched a starter with some of the Brewlab Sussex1 that I grew a couple of weeks ago and I think I noticed a slight smell of cloves. Has anyone experienced this? I might have imagined it, since it wasn't unpleasant. It was just a subtle hint, but I didn't expect it from an English yeast. My starter fermented on a stir tray at a room temperature of about 68F/20C.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:00 am

Derpy wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:17 pm
I'm almost finished with my first brew based upon the recipes presented here. It smells pretty good at this stage.

I just pitched a starter with some of the Brewlab Sussex1 that I grew a couple of weeks ago and I think I noticed a slight smell of cloves. Has anyone experienced this? I might have imagined it, since it wasn't unpleasant. It was just a subtle hint, but I didn't expect it from an English yeast. My starter fermented on a stir tray at a room temperature of about 68F/20C.
It does but it will quickly fade.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Derpy

Post by Derpy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:03 pm

I pitched a 2-liter Sussex 1 starter into 11.5 gallons of wort Thursday afternoon and it dropped like a stone, down to 1.015 (from 1.042) in no time. Last night it made an unexpected climb back to 1.027! I assume it has something to do with thick krausen and/or CO2 bubbles that are affecting the floating Tilt hydrometer. I've seen it before with other brews, but never so pronounced. I'm sure it'll eventually settle down. Can't wait to taste it!

StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Post by StrontiumDog » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Just thought I'd, you know, leave this here...Image

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk