Jennings Bitter

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
JKaranka

Re: Jennings Bitter

Post by JKaranka » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:12 pm

What about removing also the 5m addition (would make the bitterness less sharp too)? Also, you could replace some of the wheat malt with pale malt as I find that wheat malt finishes more dry than barley malt. Increasing amber malt to 150g sounds good.

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:25 pm

When I went on the Jennings tour (must be at least a couple of years ago now but definitely post-flood), they afterwards had a sheet showing the ingredients in each of their main beers. It's interesting that others who've also done the tour haven't mentioned this, so maybe they've stopped doing it?? In any case, I reckon you might get a favourable response if you emailed them about it, because they weren't making any secret of it.

Unfortunately, I don't recall any details except that it was just ingredients (no quantities I don't think) and I remember they used "brublock" in most of their beers. If you google that, you'll see it's a brewer's sugar and you can probably get some idea of the colour.

Grot

Post by Grot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:44 am

Dr. Dextrin wrote:When I went on the Jennings tour (must be at least a couple of years ago now but definitely post-flood), they afterwards had a sheet showing the ingredients in each of their main beers. It's interesting that others who've also done the tour haven't mentioned this, so maybe they've stopped doing it?? In any case, I reckon you might get a favourable response if you emailed them about it, because they weren't making any secret of it.

Unfortunately, I don't recall any details except that it was just ingredients (no quantities I don't think) and I remember they used "brublock" in most of their beers. If you google that, you'll see it's a brewer's sugar and you can probably get some idea of the colour.
Interesting, I took the tour about 6 years ago (my, how time flies) and they didn't offer anything like that. I would have loved to have seen their list for Snecklifter.

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:36 am

" Jeremy Pettman and, his deputy head brewer Rebecca Adams believe in using the finest raw materials for their beers. Maris Otter is their choice of malting barley and the blend of grain for the first batch of Bitter was pale, amber, crystal and chocolate malts: it's an unusually dark version of Bitter, one that has been satisfying Cumbrian drinkers for close on two centuries. The hops are all English whole flowers: Challenger, Fuggles and Goldings. There are three additions in the copper."

http://www.beer-pages.com/protz/feature ... rewery.htm

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:53 am

According to the Homebrewers Recipe Database on Google books, Sneck Lifter is ...

Pale malt, TW, invert sugar, small % Black malt
Challenger Fuggles Goldings
OG 1055

gyleable

Post by gyleable » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Clibit wrote:" ... Maris Otter is their choice of malting barley and the blend of grain for the first batch of Bitter was pale, amber, crystal and chocolate malts... The hops are all English whole flowers: Challenger, Fuggles and Goldings. There are three additions in the copper."
Thanks, Clibit - that's very useful to know! Might have another bash, based on this.

Grot

Post by Grot » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:56 pm

Clibit wrote:According to the Homebrewers Recipe Database on Google books, Sneck Lifter is ...

Pale malt, TW, invert sugar, small % Black malt
Challenger Fuggles Goldings
OG 1055
Thanks for that. I've had a few tries based on the Real Ale Almanac and haven't gotten anywhere near. I think they use a lot of dark crystal, but it's been too long since I've had the beer to really remember the flavor profile.

JKaranka

Post by JKaranka » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:36 pm

Drinking Jennings Bitter for the first time. It's very malty, I really doubt is has steeping or dry hops. There's some hop aroma from a late addition but it barely translates into hop flavour. Malt is robust and slightly nutty, almost "aggressively" malty. If I was going to clone this at home I'd use 70% MO, 25% Munich, 4% Biscuit or Amber malt, 1% Chocolate malt. I bet the original recipe doesn't have any of these ingredients but I can't see many ways of ending up with the same flavour using just pale malt, sugar and some dark malt.

mattjgalloway

Post by mattjgalloway » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:38 pm

Reviving this thread because I'm trying to figure out how I can brew up a Jennings Bitter clone in time for Christmas. It's a favourite of my family and I really want to give it a whirl!

Can anyone lend any comments on this 4.5 litre recipe please?

Details:
1.035 OG -> 1.008 FG (3.5% ABV)
29.5 IBUs
46.8 EBC

Grain:
0.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.0 EBC) 71.4 %
0.10 kg Munich Malt (The Malt Miller) (25.0 EBC) 14.3 %
0.05 kg Amber Malt - Thomas Fawcett (The Malt Miller) (100.0 EBC) 7.1 %
0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (The Malt Miller) (1000.0 EBC) 7.1 %

Hops:
5.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min 19.7 IBUs
5.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min 9.8 IBUs
4.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:44 pm

mattjgalloway wrote:Reviving this thread because I'm trying to figure out how I can brew up a Jennings Bitter clone in time for Christmas. It's a favourite of my family and I really want to give it a whirl!

Can anyone lend any comments on this 4.5 litre recipe please?

Details:
1.035 OG -> 1.008 FG (3.5% ABV)
29.5 IBUs
46.8 EBC

Grain:
0.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.0 EBC) 71.4 %
0.10 kg Munich Malt (The Malt Miller) (25.0 EBC) 14.3 %
0.05 kg Amber Malt - Thomas Fawcett (The Malt Miller) (100.0 EBC) 7.1 %
0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (The Malt Miller) (1000.0 EBC) 7.1 %

Hops:
5.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min 19.7 IBUs
5.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min 9.8 IBUs
4.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs

That FG suggests a beer that will be quite dry and so far the descriptions of the beer (if I've had it it would have been nearly 40 years ago so effectively haven't) suggest a malt forward beer. I would therefore choose a mash profile to reflect this and/or a low attenuating yeast, might need to adjust the malt bill too to keep the abv at 3.5%. At that abv I would wait until mid November to brew it, or it could be past its peak by Xmas otherwise. Low abv beers mature very quickly.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

mattjgalloway

Post by mattjgalloway » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:05 pm

Thanks for the input @orlando!

How about 1.037 OG, 1.011 FG, giving 3.4% ABV?

Also, my current setup is meaning I'm getting 1 or 2 points higher OG and FG than expected, so it might turn out just about right.

Makes sense about waiting a little longer. Maybe I'll do another brew in the meantime!!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:54 pm

mattjgalloway wrote:Thanks for the input @orlando!

How about 1.037 OG, 1.011 FG, giving 3.4% ABV?

Also, my current setup is meaning I'm getting 1 or 2 points higher OG and FG than expected, so it might turn out just about right.

Makes sense about waiting a little longer. Maybe I'll do another brew in the meantime!!
Yep. =D>
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

erritsoe

Post by erritsoe » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:37 am

I would like to try Jennings Bitter and based on Gyleables notes, I have put this together. Any advice would be very welcome (also from Gyleable :)

29 l.
OG 1037
IBU 25,6

4000 g. Maris Otter
625 g. Wheat
150 g. Amber
125 g. Golden naked oats
100 g. Black
30 g. Challenger (60 min)
15 g. Challenger (10 min)
15 g. Fuggles (10 min)
Wyeast: London ESB