INTRODUCING: Seymour Citra Dark

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: INTRODUCING: Seymour Citra Dark

Post by f00b4r » Sun May 15, 2016 10:05 am

Cheers, will let you know how it turns out

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:06 am

Finally got round to brewing this yesterday with Demig, along with a Mild based upon Kyle's. The malts were smelling great even before they went in the mash but really came alive when mashing:

Hit the numbers nicely and ended up with 22.5L tucked up in the FV with some WLP002, although managed to reverse the first two hop additions as we were chatting away (doubled up the flame out progress addition and didn't cool to 80 first so it should hit about the right bitterness).

Going to enter this in the local Brewdog competition in 7 weeks so just enough time to ferment out fully, dry hop, crash chill, keg and force carb it.
I might also hit the bottles up with some Citra aroma extract to make it a real hop hit (will see on a couple of test bottles!).

Really looking forward to this one being ready. :)

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:15 pm

Bump.

So, how'd it turn out? Cheers!

demig
Hollow Legs

INTRODUCING: Seymour Citra Dark

Post by demig » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:39 pm

It's awesome I'm drinking some of it at the moment! It was served too cold at the competition though, foob4r can tell you more as he was there.

Cracking beer Seymour even my mum is drinking it as the moment and she doesn't really drink and certainly not beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:54 pm

Yep this turned it pretty amazing but through my own stupidity ended up having it served cold at the competition (took it warm and meant to have it in the fridge just long enough to bring it down to cellar temp but was chatting away and forgot so the flavours got killed a fair bit).
Gave a few bottles away though with serving instructions and they got rave reviews.

I knew it was going to be special just on kegging it, it smelt like you had stuck your head in a pack of fruit salad chew sweets, even venting the corny would fill the room with the smell.

My next malt order has a reservation for a rebrew of this, although thinking if splitting out a gallon when it comes to dry hopping and going with a different dry hop like galaxy as I think it might be a nice base beer to experiment with.

seymour

Post by seymour » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:35 am

demig wrote:It's awesome I'm drinking some of it at the moment! It was served too cold at the competition though, foob4r can tell you more as he was there.

Cracking beer Seymour even my mum is drinking it as the moment and she doesn't really drink and certainly not beer.
So glad to hear you're enjoying it. Cheers!
f00b4r wrote:Yep this turned it pretty amazing but through my own stupidity ended up having it served cold at the competition (took it warm and meant to have it in the fridge just long enough to bring it down to cellar temp but was chatting away and forgot so the flavours got killed a fair bit).
Gave a few bottles away though with serving instructions and they got rave reviews.
Ah well, better luck next time. :)

Mattpc
Piss Artist

Post by Mattpc » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:20 pm

I'm going to try this! I've been loving Marble Beers Black Sunshine IPA recently so I'm coming round to the idea of dark hoppy beers

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:35 pm

It's a stunning beer, really enjoyed it and must brew again.

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:03 pm

I usually have this on tap. Starting to run low so I must brew it again. Last year it took me ages to hunt down the citra as it was in short supply.
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

Chrissyr63
Piss Artist

Post by Chrissyr63 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:11 pm

So did this on Tuesday - for 24 lts @ 1.056 so think my boil off is a bit low. Pitched the yeast (SO4 cos I forget to bring the new yeast I bought from crossmyloof).
I have 100g of in unopened citra in the freezer, 30g of leaf as well and 100g of 2016 citra pellet. What do people suggest for the final dry hop in about 2 weeks?

gus

Post by gus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:26 pm

[quote="seymour"]SEYMOUR CITRA DARK

All Grain Homebrew Recipe
6 US Gallons = 5 Imperial Gallons = 22.7 Litres

For awhile now, I've been brainstorming how to build upon the success of SEYMOUR CITRA GOLD. After some trial-and-error, I think I've nailed it. It's bigger, browner, breadier, bad-ass-ier and a bit expensive-er to brew. Categorize it however you want: American Brown Ale, Black IPA, modernized India Porter, Dry-Hopped Demon Juice… whatev's, I don't care. I think you'll agree it's a cool fusion of new and old, English and American, strong and sessionable, complex and easy-suppin'.

Place your orders early. If this CITRA DARK recipe proves half as popular as CITRA GOLD, there's gonna be a run on Citra hops at your local homebrew supplier. My apologies to the porridge oats industry: I still think you're lovely…it's not you, it's me.

GRAINBILL:
75% = 9.3 lbs = 4.22 kg, UK PALE MALT (e.g. Maris Otter or Golden Promise, the freshest possible)
12% = 1.49 lb = 676 g, TORRIFIED WHEAT (NOT wheat malt)
5% = .62 lb = 281 g, RYE MALT
2% = .25 lb = 113 g, UK DARK CRYSTAL MALT
1.5% = .19 lb = 86 g, UK PALE CHOCOLATE MALT (NOT US Chocolate Malt)
4.5% = .56 lb = 254 g, UK BLACK PATENT MALT (this is essential, DO NOT substitute Carafa, De-bittered Black, Chocolate, Roasted Barley, etc.)

MASH @ 148°F/64°C for 60 min. Optional: stir-in a pinch of Calcium carbonate (chalk, to simulate limestone well-water, it also balances acidity from the dark malts.)

VORLAUF and SPARGE slowly to collect 7.5 US Gal/6.2 Imperial Gal/28.4 L pre-boil.

BOIL hard, uncovered for 60 min. Optional: add a pinch of gypsum to make the hops pop.

HOPBILL:
1.5 oz = 43 g, UK CHALLENGER, First Wort Hops (add to empty kettle, then sparge wort onto them. These also serve as your bittering hop.)
1 oz = 28 g, UK PROGRESS, 15 minutes remaining
1 oz = 28 g, UK PROGRESS, at flame-out (steep until chilled)
6 oz = 170 g, CITRA, dry-hops added to fully-fermented beer, steep 1-2 weeks before bottling/kegging. Yes, you read that correctly.

RACK to fermentor, then AERATE (a Ditch-style drill-powered paint-stirrer works great,) then PITCH yeast starter.

YEAST: Brewer's Choice.
Ideally, ferment with an historic top-cropped English ale yeast for a complex combo of fruity/spicy/woodsy traits. Some of my favourites are the Ringwood Brewery Dual-Strain (NOT the same as problematic single-strain Wyeast Ringwood 1187) or Adnams Brewery Dual-Strain (one of which is Wyeast 1335/White Labs WLP025, another good option) but I know those can be tough to score. Your favourite bold & high-attenuating UK ale yeast will work fine. Hell, invent your own dual-strain yeast. McEwans Scottish strain (Wyeast 1728/White Labs WLP028) or Fullers strain (Wyeast 1968/White Labs WLP002) would be great. Use Whitbread-B/S-04 or Nottingham if you must. But I don't wanna hear about any of you using "Chico"/Sierra Nevada/American Ale/Wyeast 1056/WLP001/US-05 on this beast.

FERMENT @ 69°F/20.5°C, allowing plenty of time for full attenuation. I'm serious guys, wait to get amongst it (don't tell Ditch!) I need you to hold your horses on this one, so the yeast can chomp through everything and all that roasted malt can mellow. Think weeks, not days. Once you're sure it's done, wait some more, then add your dry hops and wait some more. Trust me, you'll see.

APPROXIMATE STATS:
OG: 1057
FG: ≤1013
ABV: ≥5.7%
IBU: 45 (this beer has EXTREME hoppy flavours and aromas, but isn't extremely bitter.)
COLOUR: very dark reddish brown with creamy beige foam, everlasting with lace.

Cheers!
-Seymour[/quote can the first hop addition be added to the boil for 60 mins 43 grms instead of running sparge water over them.

gus

Post by gus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:05 pm

would it be ok to use the full amount of the first addition hops in a 60 min boil instead of running the sparge water over them, or would it turn out to bitter in taste?

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:16 am

gus wrote:would it be ok to use the full amount of the first addition hops in a 60 min boil instead of running the sparge water over them, or would it turn out to bitter in taste?
Sure, that's fine. Just continue doing your usual tried-and-true first hop addition process. I always add my first hop addition before it comes to a full boil, believing that to produce a softer bitterness profile overall, but it's not a difference of night and day...

gus

Post by gus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:30 pm

thanks mr s , ile get on and try this the weekend, this will be my second grain brew, the first was the citra, thats still dry hopping, its all a learning curve, ile get there.

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:34 pm

gus wrote:thanks mr s , ile get on and try this the weekend, this will be my second grain brew, the first was the citra, thats still dry hopping, its all a learning curve, ile get there.
Cheers, and happy brewing! Can't wait to hear how they both turn out for you.