Kernel brewery Pale Ale clone - does anyone have a recipe?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
robbym123
Steady Drinker

Re: Kernel brewery Pale Ale clone - does anyone have a recip

Post by robbym123 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:01 am

I believe they use Simpsons low colour Maris Otter.

rlemkin
Sober

Post by rlemkin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:57 am

I don't know that they use US-05 anymore. I can't remember where I saw it, but pretty sure I saw a rather ambiguous reference to a house strain recently.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:03 pm

rlemkin wrote:I don't know that they use US-05 anymore. I can't remember where I saw it, but pretty sure I saw a rather ambiguous reference to a house strain recently.
Wouldn't surprise me to be honest - it makes sense from an economic perspective.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:58 pm

They are definitely using something different for their pales now. Smacks of Conan strain now (including turbidity).

Simpsons LC MO. For their main grist.

rlemkin
Sober

Post by rlemkin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:44 pm

TheSumOfAllBeers wrote:They are definitely using something different for their pales now. Smacks of Conan strain now (including turbidity).

Simpsons LC MO. For their main grist.
They've always been a wee bit hazy, but yeah, seems to have increased. I'm not convinced it's conan.. I could swear I saw reference to them using a London strain. Again I cannot remember when/where/how I heard this.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:11 pm

They were always murky when they used us05, it's an atrocious floculator compared to english yeasts and they weren't shy about getting a lot of yeast in the bottles, plus no filtering or fining. I would be interested to know exactly what they use now, although I can't say I've noticed any improvement/difference in their beers since I first started drinking them - still as good as ever if you want a nice clean hop wallop