Recipes with pale rye malt?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
gobuchul

Recipes with pale rye malt?

Post by gobuchul » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:43 pm

I bought some pale rye malt a while ago and have never used it.

Can anyone suggest a good recipe?

What does it go well with?

I was thinking of using it instead of crystal and pairing it with some Chinook and First Gold, 50ish IBU and 5% ABV.

Or should I use it with a crystal as well?

Any other ideas?

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Recipes with pale rye malt?

Post by Rookie » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:59 pm

Rye IPAs are pretty popular. Brew a regular IPA recipe and sub 20% of the pale ale malt with rye.
A couple of years ago I brewed a rye porter that came out pretty good. I used chocolate rye in it instead of regular chocolate.
I'm just here for the beer.

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Re: Recipes with pale rye malt?

Post by Fuggled Mind » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:47 pm

I like pale rye malt and every year, do a nice simple golden ale using 5.4% rye and the rest pale. It comes out a lovely dark gold. The last time I brewed this (a year or so ago), I split the base malt into two, half pale, half pilsner (43.7% each). Obviously it was a lot paler but still good. 5.4% rye doesn't sound a lot but I think a little goes a long way and you certainly know it's there.

As for strength, in my early days of brewing this with poor efficiency, the beer ranged between 3.7-4.2% ABV. The last one I brewed was 4.9% It works well with lots of aroma hops in my view as the spicy dryness of the rye still comes through.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields