British Strong recipe?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
codek

British Strong recipe?

Post by codek » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi,

I'm quite keen to brew a british strong beer (BJCP 17A) but i'm finding that there are not so many recipes out there.

Taking a step back - what i'm really wanting to brew is something properly malty, the very antithesis of the profusion of hoppy beers right now :)

So, any other areas I should be looking at, or persevere with the search? Fullers 1845 clones come up, perhaps I'll start with something like that

Dan

PS: Currently got a baltic porter on the go - so that's already done!

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: British Strong recipe?

Post by jaroporter » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:42 pm

hi Dan welcome to jim's, :)

i've got no idea (or interest!) what the BJCP define as a british strong ale, so are we talking closer to 5% or 10%? either way pale malt and goldings will get you there :lol:
key will be using a quality british yeast, maybe making sure you got plenty of chlorides in the water. 1845 is a top beer though so i can't imagine a clone of that being bad..
dazzled, doused in gin..

codek

Post by codek » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:09 pm

I quite like the bjcp guidelines, for simply finding something that sounds quite nice :) Plus it helps to have a category in mind when brewing for a comp!

Clearly in some areas the line is pretty darned fine though!

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:34 am

Burtons are nice and strong, I think the Fullers 1845 is based on one of the darker ones . They changed quite a bit over time like most british beers have. You could look up recipes for Youngs winter warmer or marstons owd roger. Or older brewery recipes, I know ron pattinson has posted a load of them over time, you can search for them here

http://www.unholymess.com/blog/lets-brew/comment-page-1

Burtons are KK ales and Old Burtons are KKK

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:22 am

Here's my contribution. It's on the pale end of 17A, but otherwise fits the bill and has a full, warm flavour. I am repeating it shortly (which is rare for me). I loved it, and it had a really nice depth to both the malt side and the hops. I love Perle, and while they're not English hops, they go brilliantly with EKG, adding complexity and the beer is very much an English strong. It's not in any way an 1845 clone, but it's in the ball park if you like that, which I do.

It was placed second in a professionally judged competition, albeit in a very broad and loose 'IPA' single category. I thought I had no chance (even as an British IPA), as the malt side came forward more than I expected, but there was clearly enough hopping in there to get away with it. I'd definitely put it under 17A in a BJCP entry though, for what that matters.

The WLP 002 was fantastic in it. I would lower the mash one step from 70C (yes 70!) to 69C, but the high mash was very much part of it.

Anglo-German Strong Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 6.220
Total Hops (g): 141.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.067 (°P): 16.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.019 (°P): 4.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.32 %
Colour (SRM): 7.3 (EBC): 14.4
Bitterness (IBU): 44.3 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Pale Malt (80.39%)
0.620 kg Caramalt (9.97%)
0.350 kg Munich II (5.63%)
0.250 kg Wheat Malt (4.02%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Magnum Leaf (9.9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
5.0 g Magnum Leaf (17.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.3 g/L)
40.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (6.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (2 g/L)
16.0 g Perle Leaf (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
30.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (6.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
10.0 g Perle Leaf (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
30.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (6.2% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
4.0 g East Kent Goldings Pure Hop Oil @ 0 Minutes (Bottling)

Single step Infusion at 70°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 19°C with WLP002 - English Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

codek

Post by codek » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Looks good thanks.
My recipes always end up darker than they're supposed to so the colour won't be an issue!