damson porter recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

damson porter recipe

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:18 pm

Hiya,

Cast your eyes on this recipe i am considering, what do you think?

3.5kg Maris O
425g crystal 45L
200g chocolate malt
100g black
75g roast barley

15g magnum at 60
15g EKG at 5

Mash at 67 degs for 1 hr, Notts danstar yeast. 2kg pasteurised damsons when krauzen falls.
I am considering adding munich or maybe a more floral american late hop addition?
What do you think?

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Re: damson porter recipe

Post by scuppeteer » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:21 am

What's your brew length and target OG?

With those dark malts and mash temp, you really shouldn't need any Munich. Certainly no American hops the damsons will give you all the fruitiness you desire.

I would be careful though with Notty, it has a habit of dropping out and you could end up with a very dry beer. Especially as the damson will still have an amount of fermentable fructose which the yeast will love and kick off the fermentation again. Making it even drier. Maybe use a less attenuating yeast?
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:55 pm

scuppeteer wrote:What's your brew length and target OG?

With those dark malts and mash temp, you really shouldn't need any Munich. Certainly no American hops the damsons will give you all the fruitiness you desire.

I would be careful though with Notty, it has a habit of dropping out and you could end up with a very dry beer. Especially as the damson will still have an amount of fermentable fructose which the yeast will love and kick off the fermentation again. Making it even drier. Maybe use a less attenuating yeast?
Brew length is 20l Scuppeteer, have you a recommendation for a less attenuating yeast? Will the crystal give sweetness tho the brew?

P

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:10 pm

OG 1040 for this brew was also contemplating:
3.5kg pale malt
550g brown malt
320 light crystal
220g chocolate
75g roasted barley

Same mash and same hops.......

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:59 am

I'd stick to your original recipe. SO4 is a better yeast for this type of beer or Windsor.

This idea smacks of Badgers (Hall & Woodhouse) Poachers choice. Probably their only beer I will drink and one I really like. It is quite a bit stronger (5.7%) than your target but I don't have any reservations about your recipe.
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:17 pm

cheers!