Rye Pale Ale

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Midlife
Piss Artist

Rye Pale Ale

Post by Midlife » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:46 pm

I'm starting to develop a taste for these, recently I had a gyle59 rye beer, and a Guiness Rye Pale Ale... Both really nice on my state buds. Can anyone share a good Rye Pale Ale recipe. The Guiness Rye said mosaic and cascade hops so I would probably go with that. Also what yeast would you use for a rye beer?

Cheers

Doug

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Rye Pale Ale

Post by Rookie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Take your favorite pale ale recipe and sub 20% rye malt for 20% of the base grain.
I'm just here for the beer.

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Rye tends to form a gloppy sticky mess in the mash so best to chuck in some rice hulls.If youve got a morrisons near you theve got shipyard rye at £1.50 a bottle,t'is rather nice.
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Yeah i love rye beers, i do:
4kg Maris
1kg Rye malt
250g light crystal
200g carared
150g chocolate rye
Mash 67degs for 1hr

30g Magnum @ 60
20g Amarillo @ 15, 10 and 0.
plus 20g amarillo dry hop
American Ale yeas
approx 7% ABV and 76 IBU

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:58 am

Fingar

Post by Fingar » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:36 pm

themadhippy wrote:
Rye tends to form a gloppy sticky mess in the mash so best to chuck in some rice hulls
Yeh, I can speak from bitter experience with regard to the gloop... gave me an awful stuck mash, I should have then refiltered the wort as it just burnt onto my elements in the boiler, so not only did I have a bit clean up on the elements, my ale was undrinkable too... double whammy. This was the first time I had brewed with Rye, but have rice hulls in for the next and hopefully more successful occasion.

Cheers... Fingar

OCurrans
Sober

Post by OCurrans » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:33 pm

I, too, like the ryes. They seem to have a bit of a bite and dryness. I also like my session beers, so, I am going to try both. This recipe started with an Ordinary Bitter, and substituted some rye. I upped the crystal a little to try and balance some of the dryness. Will try to keep the bittering in the middle of the range, at about 30 BUs.
Here is what I came up with.
Maris Otter - 75.5%
Malted Rye - 13%
C60 - 10
C120 - 1.5%
Mash @ 151F / 66C
Challenger - 60 min.
Styrian Goldings - 20 min
Styrian Goldings. 0 min
London ESB yeast

It will probably be a couple of weeks before I can brew this - Irma just visited us, and I have a lot of cleaning up to do.
Let me know your thoughts on the recipe.
Howard

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk