1800s porter

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

1800s porter

Post by Rookie » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:22 pm

I'm attempting a replica of a porter from 170-180 years ago in a few days.
three gallons, O G 1.060, IBUs 70, SRM 25
6 pounds Maris Otter pale ale malt
1 1/2 pounds British brown malt
4 ounces black patent malt
1 1/2 ounces Goldings for 60 minutes
1 ounce Goldings for 45 minutes
1 pack of S-04 or Munton's
I'm just here for the beer.

DaveyT
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: 1800s porter

Post by DaveyT » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:10 pm

Looks good. Where's the recipe from?
Evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs.
Bill Hicks

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Looks good :)

An old style stout porter is on my list for whenever I can brew again once my extension is done.

I do love the taste of brown malt, black malt and lots of low aa english hops :)

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:00 pm

DaveyT wrote:Looks good. Where's the recipe from?
Partly from the Durden Park Beer Circle book and The Homebrewer's Guide To Vintage Beer by Ron Pattinson.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:35 pm

Depending on your setup, you might want to try lagering the beer post fermentation.

It can help settle the flavours, darker beers usually need some time to let flavours settle.

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:03 am

I made the one from the Durden Park book and it was very good, it took around 6 weeks to mellow out enough but overall it didn't disappoint.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:11 pm

I've been toying with recipes like these and I get to the stage where I'm not sure why I'm adding things or taking them out. You could change certain elements but they won't make it necessarily better or worse. Go for it then change something next time if you think that would improve it.

Keep us posted. I'm interested in the fact that there's no amber malt. I tend to use it with brown all the time.
Bill Hicks

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:14 pm

DaveyT wrote:I've been toying with recipes like these and I get to the stage where I'm not sure why I'm adding things or taking them out. You could change certain elements but they won't make it necessarily better or worse. Go for it then change something next time if you think that would improve it.

Keep us posted. I'm interested in the fact that there's no amber malt. I tend to use it with brown all the time.
I decided to go with the black malt because I have some on hand and it would cost me three times the cost of the amber malt to pay for shipping. A lot of recipes in the early to mid 1800s used pale, brown, and black malt instead of pale, brown, and amber.

DaveyT

Post by DaveyT » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Good reason not to use it! I think I'll follow your example as I get the impression my beers are getting too samey. A change will do me good. When are you brewing?
Bill Hicks

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:43 pm

DaveyT wrote:Good reason not to use it! I think I'll follow your example as I get the impression my beers are getting too samey. A change will do me good. When are you brewing?
Hopefully the middle of next week, it all depends on how long it takes me to get over the cold I have.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Rookie wrote:
DaveyT wrote:Good reason not to use it! I think I'll follow your example as I get the impression my beers are getting too samey. A change will do me good. When are you brewing?
Hopefully the middle of next week, it all depends on how long it takes me to get over the cold I have.
You may still have time to get some Chevallier malt from the Malt Miller. If your recipe is mid 19th century chances are it used this malt, MO is only 50 years old.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:56 pm

orlando wrote:
Rookie wrote:
You may still have time to get some Chevallier malt from the Malt Miller. If your recipe is mid 19th century chances are it used this malt, MO is only 50 years old.
I did consider it, but I don't know if they ship to the U.S. and if they do it's got to cost way more than I can afford.

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:09 pm

Rookie wrote:
I did consider it, but I don't know if they ship to the U.S. and if they do it's got to cost way more than I can afford.
I understand there are trials going on some where near the great lakes as this is a variety that suits a humid climate that has fusarium as a problem. Might be worth punting around.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:51 am

I did see somewhere that Goose Island and Seirra Nevada were taking delivery of some Chevallier, it might be worth getting in touch with them.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

orlando

Post by orlando » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Kyle_T wrote:I did see somewhere that Goose Island and Seirra Nevada were taking delivery of some Chevallier, it might be worth getting in touch with them.
I know Ron Pattinson visited Chris Ridout with Goose Island so that's a good idea. I would start with Crisp's though, they are sure to know who is growing and malting in the States.

Fermenting:
Conditioning: