O dear, epic Coco phyco fail, what to do?

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Kp2

O dear, epic Coco phyco fail, what to do?

Post by Kp2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Afternoon all, I brewed this a little while back and now I don't know what to do with it.

25L batch / SG 1.093 / FG 1.028 / mashed at 65.5c 1.5hr. Wyeast 1272 American Ale 2 18c. Attenuation is around 73.38%.

So I've got what was expecting but not what I wonted. I did have a few issues ie. Over sparaged (43l in the boiler) and had to boil it for FIVE hours to bring the volume back to 25L. I still have no idea why that happened. Next the fermentation cupboard heater packed up. And then the burton union system didn't seal correctly.

On plus side it does tastes OK. Negative point according to others, all that sugar makes me f art a lot.

Pale Malt 61.1
Wheat Malt 8.9
Pale Chocolate 1.2
Black Prinze 11.1
Carafa Special 1 13.3
Rauchmalz 4.4

Simcoe / Hallertau Blank 30/25g 90min
Simcoe / Hallertau Blank 30/25g 15min
Coffee Beans 5g / Coco Nibs 5g at 15 / 12 / 8 / 5min

I would like to bottle it off but even I know that it's a tad on the high side. Anyone got any ideas what to do with it?

McMullan

Re: O dear, epic Coco phyco fail, what to do?

Post by McMullan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:47 pm

When did you brew it? A beer like that is going to need some time. Do you use kegs? If not, you could age it in a PET secondary (aka 'BetterBottle' type carboy).

Kp2

Post by Kp2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:01 pm

Thanks for quick reply McMullan.

Brewed on the 21/11/2016......
I use King kegs. In this case I started with a burton union system which failed and then ferment under pressure.The normal rubber band pressure valves.
Racked twice, once for the failed union 23/11/2016. Then again around mid December. Also then topped up with 3L of the original wort (Frozen and then defrosted) at that point.
I ended up switching off the fermentation cupboard mid January as not much was going on, ie SG not moving.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:37 pm

73.38% is within the expected attenuation level for WY1272. I made one about a month before you, based on the BrewDog recipes that were published. I'm leaving it in a keg for at least a year. I'd say, store it and forget about it for several months. Think about bottling it then. (Adding some dry yeast then to carbonate.) I wouldn't want to bottle it now, TBH. I have no idea what mine is like a the moment. It wasn't great when it was kegged, but I'm hoping it is turning into something very nice for next winter. If not, the one after that.

Kp2

Post by Kp2 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Point taken, think I'll move to a steel keg and forget about. Thanks for you input.