Honey and nut amber ale

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
Garvy

Honey and nut amber ale

Post by Garvy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:09 pm

Hullo all. I am strarting to prepare for this weekends brewing session. I have been thinking alot about a honey and nut amber ale

I have
1kg of honey malt
1kg of Thomas fawsett amber
1kg of golden naked oats
1kg of caragold

As well as a load of marris otter. I have no clear idea about the quantities to use to achieve a nutty sweet amber ale. Anyone have any experience with these malts??

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Honey and nut amber ale

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:08 pm

I am not sure what gets you nutty flavours, except high nitrogen base malts like mild malt.

It's highly desirable in some beer styles like the one you are making, and several English styles too.

The main question about the amber is whether you want it just for colour, or for it to contribute to flavour the same as your nut and honey flavours

Garvy

Post by Garvy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi sum

From what i understand from the TF Amber description is that it should lend a nutty taste. This along with the naked oats shoud provide a good nutty background to the beer, at least if the product description is anything to go on. i would like this beer to have all the qualities of honey and nuts just by showcasing the grains. The big question for me is what kind of quantities are required

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:40 pm

Where is the honey malt from, it can be very potent and make things cloying very easily (certainly the case with Gambrinus).
You can add roasted chestnuts into the boil, they work pretty well and the fat content is low enough that it won't mess with your head retention.

Garvy

Post by Garvy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:14 pm

The honey malt is from colorado, it doesnt list the maltster
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/honey- ... -4007.html

f00b4r
Site Admin

Honey and nut amber ale

Post by f00b4r » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:17 pm

The original malster calls it Honig but no idea how that compares to the Gambrinus honey malt, which is meant to be unique and I have used (it's pretty intense).