Good American stout recipe

Try some of these great recipes out, or share your favourite brew with other forumees!
TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Good American stout recipe

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:28 pm

I have made quite a few dark beers, but my recent efforts have not quite come together.

Going to go back to basics and try an American stout - have loads of hops for it and US05 has more predictable attenuation when the malt bill gets interesting.

Any good recipes going? Anything in the 5-6% abv range is good.

Lots of Columbus, centennial cascade and chinook in the house

Stringybob

Re: Good American stout recipe

Post by Stringybob » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Not sure what constitutes an American Stout but I have just ordered this from the Malt Miller. I brewed it years ago when I first got into AG brewing and it was my best ever brew http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... uctId=3028
Those quantities are for a 20ltr brew.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Looks like a Dry Irish stout base with some tweaks. Going by the BYO/Jamil article, an American stout emphasises roast character, chocolate & coffee, clean fermentation and clean supporting malt profile - balancing rather than biscuity. Hop presence welcome. Main malt ingredients would be black, choc malt, and high ebc crystal to hold it together.

Specifically I am trying to nail that dark malt balance, and I have only pulled it off once or twice by accident.

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:48 pm

I've never tried to make Sierra Nevada Stout because I can buy it but I don't suppose you could go far wrong from this recipe, even if it is from Kristen England :lol:
http://byo.com/malt/item/155-back-in-bl ... atent-malt
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:44 pm

SN stout would be a good place to start, or Anchor Porter. And I like your article - not finished, but de-mystifying Black Malt gets a thumbs up in my book.